Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Seagate External USB 4TB HDD Turned RAW

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ZooBooBooZoo

ZooBooBooZoo

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 03 August 2014 - 03:15 PM

Hi all.

I've recently bought a new SSD and installed a Windows 7 Ultimate on it. I then formatted my internal 500GB HDD where the former Windows used to live.
For some reasons after I re-installed Windows my Seagate External USB 4TB HDD turned RAW.

Symptoms:
1) In windows Disk Management the drive's file system is  "RAW".
2) Shows in windows explorer with a letter "H:".
3) Not accessible / "Do you want to format the drive?" warnings appear when trying to access the drive.
4) Same things happen when the drive is connected to my laptop so it's the not the computer, it's the disk that's malfunctioning. 

Diagnostics test I ran:

TestDisk:
It actually lists the drive twice. both as "dev/sdc" and as "Drive H:".
I don't really know with which to go or whether I should choose the recommended "none" partition type or "intel" type(since I'm pretty sure it was NTFS).
here's the screen of the list and the analayze->deep search I did for the "dev/sdc".

Test_Disk_Combined.jpg

When I use testdisk and choose drive H: -> choose the suggested "none" filesystem type -> choose the suggested "advanced" -> and then it suggests "boot" for boot sector recovery. Should I do it?

Seagate Seatools:
Failed both the short self drive test and the long generic.

both of them failed/found an error in the 1st minutes, even seconds of the tests so I'm guessing the the boot sector is wrong but I'm not sure about it, nor am I sure about what's the best way to fix it.

Thanks in advance for any help,
ZBBZ.

Edited by ZooBooBooZoo, 03 August 2014 - 05:48 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 04 August 2014 - 08:29 AM

I would say the drive has failed, especially if Seatools gave it a fail. It doesn't matter if the boot sector was gone, Seatools would still give the drive a passing grade if it was okay.

Download Gsmartcontrol and look at the SMART attributes tab. If you see any Red rows, the drive has failed and I don't believe Testdisk will help. The identity tab will also list the drive as having passed or failed.

If Gsmartcontrols shows a passing grade select sdc instead of H. As far as partition type, a 4TB drive would have to be formatted as GPT in order to make use of the full 4TB. I am also surprised it's listed as FAT instead of NTFS. After doing a quick search, does it detect any partitions, Use the "P" key to list any files on the partition. If this does not work do a deep search. Be prepared for a very long scan time on a 4TB drive. How much data is on this drive?

There is not very much information on Testdisk and it's use on a GPT disk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users