Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Did I mess something up when opening up my computer?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 sebihp2007

sebihp2007

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 03 August 2014 - 01:07 PM

So I've been having some overheating problems lately and I decided it would be about time to clean off the dust inside my PC. I opened up the case, used a small vacuum cleaner to vacuum some of the dust (without actually touching anything with the vacuum cleaner itself), then I opened up the power supply and cleaned the dust on the fan with a piece of cloth and then put everything back together.

Overheating problems seem to be gone so that's always good but.. the problem is that ever since I did this, my PC has been incredibly slow and unresponsive. It's got a Dual Core 1.8Ghz CPU and 4GB of RAM and it's running almost as slowly as my single core 1.2GHz with 512 MB of RAM ancient PC that I've got in the living room.. also it's randomly shutting down every now and then (usually when I watch a video).. but not a plug-pull type of shut down but a "nice" shut down.. on Windows, the screen turns black for 3-4 seconds before the PC turns itself off and on Ubuntu I actually get a proper shutting-down screen..

I've recently read that I was supposed to "ground" myself during the process of opening; I'm not sure what "grounding" even means, but from what I've read if you've touched the computer's metal case you should be fine and I'm pretty sure I did that when I opened it up.. and even then, I didn't actually physically touch any of the circuits.

Can anybody make anything out of this?.. any help?

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 6,684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 04 August 2014 - 05:39 AM

What were the symptoms of the ''overheating problems'' that you noticed?

also it's randomly shutting down every now and then (usually when I watch a video).. but not a plug-pull type of shut down but a "nice" shut down.. on Windows, the screen turns black for 3-4 seconds before the PC turns itself off and on Ubuntu I actually get a proper shutting-down screen..

This could be due to overheating.

Edited by Al1000, 04 August 2014 - 05:40 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users