Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU and RAM problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 maske3344

maske3344

• Members
  • 204 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 03 August 2014 - 12:57 PM

Question 1: What is the normal or average % of CPU and RAM?

Question 2: I have adobe after effects CS6, adobe photoshop CS6, other 3 or 4 other video editing software; I often have 3 or more tabs open in Chrome; and I run malware software (6 in total for now) usually at once. Do these make CPU and RAM go up tremendously?

so, I have been thinking, do I need to increase my RAM?

I watched YouTube videos on how to increase RAM for free. When I checked my Virtual Memory, C drive has 343851 MB...recommended increase is 6142 MB.

On the other hand, for my D drive, it's only 26 MB...recommended increase of 6142 MB.

Are there ways that I can reduce my CPU and increase my RAM so that I can make my computer run faster?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 03 August 2014 - 03:15 PM

1) I assume you mean percentage of CPU and RAM used?  This is dependant on what you are doing with the computer at the time.  The CPU will normally register some use (a few percent) when the computer is doing "nothing" due to background processes.  It could go to 100% when doing something intensive, for example encoding a video.  Memory use is dependant on how many programs and processes are open at the same time.  Unexplained high CPU or memory use can be caused by a problem with a particular program or process.  Using Resource Monitor can help to pin down what process is using CPU, memory or accessing the disk.

2) Yes having a lot of programs open at the same time, particularly large programs like video editing suites, will cause CPU and memory use to increase.  Using less programs at the same time will improve system performance.  Is there any need for using six anti-malware programs at the same time??  Using more than one real time virus scanner can cause problems as they can interfere with each other.

Virtual memory is not the same as physical memory.  It is when data in the physical memory is moved to the hard disk to free up your physical memory to do something else.  Accessing virtual memory is many times slower than accessing physical memory, so it's not ideal to have programs running in virtual memory as everything will get very slow....  You don't say how much memory you have but if you are regularly getting high memory use, then buying more seems a logical step.  Be aware that 32 bit operating systems can normally only address 4Gb or less.  64 bit OS's don't have this limitation.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 maske3344

maske3344
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 204 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2014 - 06:01 PM

Thank you for your help.

I have Windows 7 64 bits, so that's a good news.

Is there a way that I can do to minimize my percentage of CPU and RAM used? I have gotten rid of the background pictures and such...

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 03 August 2014 - 06:41 PM

Background pictures used to take up a lot in Windows 3.1/95 days.  Now they are a drop in the ocean...  I would repeat the question about why you are running so many anti virus/malware programs.  These eat up a lot of resources.

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 maske3344

maske3344
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 204 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2014 - 08:57 PM

First, some antivirus programs cannot detect malware very well. 

Second, I forget to regularly use anti virus programs, so when I do remember, I just open all six of them.

Is the crashing of some programs due to high usage of CPU and RAM? Or more of virus infection?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users