Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems with new xp pro installation

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 trouble at mill

trouble at mill

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 03 August 2014 - 12:57 PM

Hello, I have replaced a totally messed up installation of Win 7 on a Toshiba Satellite with the only other operating system disc I had which is XP Pro, now when I go into Device Manager I get yellow question marks under -other devices- 

audio device on high def audio bus

Ethernet controller

Ethernet controller

Modem device on high def audio bus

SM bus controller

video controller

video controller (vga compatible)

Obviously I cannot get onto the Internet on that computer, I'm using another laptop, but the very first device I looked for I get the 'device cannot be found' message. I'm a little out of my depth here, any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 03 August 2014 - 02:14 PM

Go to the Toshiba website and download and install all of the appropriate XP drivers starting with the chipset driver

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 03 August 2014 - 02:29 PM

It has been brought to our attention that you have also posted a topic about this same issue at http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/341706-replaced-bad-installation-of-win-7-with-xp-pro-but-need-ven-and-dev-codes/

You should only seek help at one forum.

We ask that you select one forum from those where you sought help and ask the others to close your topics.

Although we understand you wish your problems to be addressed as soon as possible, there are reasons why multi-posting causes problems.

Receiving advice from 2 different forums will cause confusion for you, those helping you and can hinder the help process.
Conflicting advice may be given. Helpers don't know what you have been told elsewhere.

Please let us know WHERE you want to continue to receive help from. If elsewhere this topic will be closed.

Having said that, Toshiba systems have a recovery partition which takes the place of Windows disks. Do you have that partition on your computer? If so, I suggest you use that to reinstall Windows 7. It will also install drivers.

You went from Win7 to XP, drivers for your motherboard may not be available for XP.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 03 August 2014 - 02:30 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users