Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Digstream.exe-corrupt File

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Glenn_G

Glenn_G

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 02 June 2006 - 08:29 AM

I think i went to one of those nasty web sites that put something on my PC. Now I can't restore to an earlier restore point (They are always incomplete after the reboot) and I can't find the file to delete it. The message says "The file or directory C:\Documents and Settings\Glenn Greenstein\Cookies\glenn greenstein@go[3].txt is corrupt and unreadable. Please run the Chkdsk utility."

I ran chkdsk like it asked but it wouldn't complete the check and ran in read only because the F parameter was not specified.

Can anyone help me fix this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 02 June 2006 - 08:56 AM

Did you use Windows Explorer to navigate to your cookie file
C:\Documents and Settings\Glenn Greenstein\Cookies
And manually delete the cookie?

In any case, open Internet Explorer, click on the word "Tools", select "Internet Options", and on the "general Tab" under the Temporary Internet Section click on "delete Cookies" and also "Delete Files".

Reboot and see if you still have the problem.

Even if you do not I suggest you get the following freeware anti-malware aps, install them, then update their definition files, and run them (scans) from safe mode setting them to fix what they find.
Those that offer to do a "backup" before scans or deletion, allow them to do that.

Ad-Aware SE Personal - freeware
http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Adawa...nal/965718306/1

Spybot S&D (freeware: http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html
Be sure to enable “Teatimer” which gives you realtime protection against malware invasion. (absolutely necessary)

I suggest you also get the following anti-malware aps:
Microsoft Windows Defender
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/s...re/default.mspx
This also provides realtime protection. (absolutely necessary)

SpywareBlaster: http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool (Win XP and Win 2000):
http://www.microsoft.com/security/malwareremove/default.mspx

A˛ - Free from http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4281.html . Run it, click Search for Updates, then click Scan.

After you run Adaware and Spybot (from safe mode), I suggest you take advantage of our Hijack This service and post a “HijackThis” log for expert assistance with your malware infection.

Here's how to do that:
Read the pinned post in our “HijackThis” forum,
here
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/
Carefully read and follow all directions explicitly.

Following instructions create a HJT log, and POST THE HJT LOG YOU CREATED IN OUR HJT FORUM – not in this forum,
at this link.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/posthjtlog.html
Include the specs for your computer (ie, processor, amount of RAM, brand or motherboard, etc, and briefly describe the problem you are experiencing.)

Unless you are expert at editing the registry, Do not use the Hijack This program to try to fix anything by yourself as even what may seem to be a small mistake can render your operating system inoperable.
Some files when in the correct folder for them may be fine while in another may be malware hiding.

A member of our expert HJT Team will analyze your log, make recommendations and offer assistance, walking you through the complete repair process.

It may take a period of time to get a response to the log you posted because the members of our HJT Team are kept very busy.
Please be patient as this team is manned by volunteers. They will help you in order received as soon as possible.

NOTE
Once you have posted your HJT log, please DO NOT make any additional posts in the HJT forum thread you created until you get a response from a member of our HJT expert team, and do not make any changes to your system (changes, including any attempted repairs, will make your computer to be different than displayed in the log you posted and therefore make your log inaccurate).

The first criteria the HJT Team has when looking for logs that need replies are posts showing 0 replies. If you make an additional post, it will show as having 1 reply.
A team member, looking for a new log that requires help might well assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and might not open the thread to respond.

So, post your HJT Log in our HJT Forum (not here in this forum) and wait for a response from a HJT team member.

#3 Glenn_G

Glenn_G
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2006 - 06:39 PM

That is a lot of stuff :thumbsup: Thanks for the reply. I decided to google it and found out it was an espn video app. I just deleted it and now it hasn't happened since. I use Norton Internet Protection Suite and PC Tools Dr. Spyware. Do I need the others you suggested considering I run those. I don't want to run redundant programs and have a slower PC. I'll post that Hijack thing a bit later tonight. Thanks again :flowers:

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2006 - 09:43 PM

A layered regimen for protection against malware is higly recommended and always more successful.

I run all those and more.
Most only run when opened although Spybot with Teatimer enabled, Windows Defender and Spyware blaster give real time protection but they should not slow your system down.

The MS Malicious Software removal tool updates every Tuesday I believe, and likewise will not impact the speed of your computer.

Set these things to scan when you aren't using the computer or doing your scheduled AV scan.

I look at it this way:
The more specialized tools you have in your toolbox the better. Each anti-malware aps will find things the others may not and you can't have too much protection in today's world.

Do you use a separate firewall other than the puny one XP came with? Also highly recommended, but run only one firewall. Unlike the anti-malware aps, more than one will conflict.

Edited by Enthusiast, 02 June 2006 - 09:44 PM.

#5 Glenn_G

Glenn_G
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2006 - 10:18 PM

I run the firewall that came with Norton only and I use a firewall router from Syslink. I'll put those aps on that you suggested and see how things go. DO youy think the inability to restore to a previous check point is due to something I picked up? That is the only thing that is not working at the moment. If you think it is, i'll do the hijack thing and wait on a reply.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2006 - 10:24 PM

Unless you shut off System restore at some recent point or limited the amount of space dedicated to it, something caused the problem.

The Norton firewall is ok. Norton itself is a system hog though as all of the bundled programs are.

I recommend posting the HJT log to determine if you have any malware on your computer. It cannot hurt and possibly will help.

Edited by Enthusiast, 02 June 2006 - 10:25 PM.

#7 Glenn_G

Glenn_G
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2006 - 04:28 PM

OK, I just downloaded search and destroy and the Mcafee stinger. Ad Ware seems like the same as Dr. Spyware so I skipped that one. I ran all the scans and posted the log.

Thanks for the help

#8 StacieX

StacieX

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2007 - 06:51 PM

I think i went to one of those nasty web sites that put something on my PC. Now I can't restore to an earlier restore point (They are always incomplete after the reboot) and I can't find the file to delete it. The message says "The file or directory C:\Documents and Settings\Glenn Greenstein\Cookies\glenn greenstein@go[3].txt is corrupt and unreadable. Please run the Chkdsk utility."

I ran chkdsk like it asked but it wouldn't complete the check and ran in read only because the F parameter was not specified.

Can anyone help me fix this?

the EXACT same thing just happened to me. where did you go to delete it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users