Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Download managers

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 colin

colin

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 24 November 2004 - 02:30 PM

Hello to everyone.

Does anyone know of a good, simple to use download manager?

The sort of situation I'm thinking of is where I want to download, say, thirty or so jpeg pictures, or ten mpegs or whatever but for each one you have to click a thumbnail, click save or save as, return to the thumbnails etc. etc.

Is there a utility program [I think they are called download managers] that anyone knows of that I can use to perform the download - ie: highlight the thumbnails, tell the program where to save to and let it get on with it?

Preferably a free utility or one that doesn't cost the earth and definitely not something that involves annual subscriptions.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 24 November 2004 - 03:36 PM

Have you got firefox browser? It has a built in manager with pause and resume!
Get firefox here:
http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

And a free download manager I use is here :
http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/

It works good. Dont work in firefox because firefox has its own.

Hope it helps!

#3 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2004 - 05:46 PM

Wget is a network utility to retrieve files from the Web using http and ftp, the two most widely used Internet protocols. It works non-interactively, so it will work in the background, after having logged off. The program supports recursive retrieval of web-authoring pages as well as ftp sites-- you can use wget to make mirrors of archives and home pages or to travel the Web like a WWW robot.

Wget works particularly well with slow or unstable connections by continuing to retrive a document until the document is fully downloaded. Re-getting files from where it left off works on servers (both http and ftp) that support it. Both http and ftp retrievals can be time stamped, so wget can see if the remote file has changed since the last retrieval and automatically retrieve the new version if it has.

Wget supports proxy servers; this can lighten the network load, speed up retrieval, and provide access behind firewalls.

Wget for Windows

At first wget may seem intimidating ,but its simple to use.

wget http://www.site-with-pictures.com/images/*.jpg (whatever directory the images happen to live in)
It's not point and click,but a great tool for retrieving files.

Edited by raw, 24 November 2004 - 05:53 PM.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#4 colin

colin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2004 - 04:32 PM

Thanks for the replies.

I think I'm going to give freedownloadmanager a try.

#5 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 26 November 2004 - 05:53 PM

If you dont mind, post back after you have used it. We would all love to hear if it works out for you.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#6 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2004 - 08:19 PM

hope it works for you!

#7 colin

colin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2004 - 09:44 AM

Further to my earlier posts I thought that I would check back as requested.

I haven't yet installed freedownloadmanager. I like to learn what I can about things before I try them and, having now read at length about freedownloadmanager, two things are putting me off:

1. There seems to be problem insofar as the latest version[s] of freedownloadmanager comes bundled up with spyware. Apparently this wasn't the case on earlier versions. Has anyone found this? If its true it seems crazy to me that any reputable program would associate itself with this rubbish, even if it is a quick way of making advertising money.

2. Secondly, I've read in several articles that freedownloadmanager can be a !!****!! if you ever need to uninstall it. Any comments?

Please don't think I'm criticising other people's choices here. If people use freedownloadmanager and like it that's fine. Its just that I have been a bit alarmed by some of the reviews I have read and would be interested in hearing other people's views.

One download manager program that has caught my eye is Leechget. Looking at their site it does seem to be a very reputable product and even people like Kolla [the guy who wrote Spybot] gives it high praise and states that it is spyware free.

Has anyone had any experience with Leechget? I'd be very interested to hear anyone's views.

#8 colin

colin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2004 - 09:42 AM

Further to my earlier posts I thought members might like an update.

I downloaded the basic free version of Leechget and have been using it for the last few weeks. It is superb - no problems at all.

In fact, I have now upgraded to the premier version - there is a small one time cost but the product is very good. It is amazing how quickly it handles large down loads and I would recommend it to anyone.

:thumbsup:

#9 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2004 - 10:58 AM

Thank you for your recommendation, would you mind providing a link?
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#10 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2004 - 11:43 AM

LeechGet
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#11 colin

colin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2005 - 09:00 PM

Thanks tg1911

#12 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 02 January 2005 - 09:48 PM

Colin, thank you. I will try Leechget asap.

1. There seems to be problem insofar as the latest version[s] of freedownloadmanager comes bundled up with spyware. Apparently this wasn't the case on earlier versions. Has anyone found this? If its true it seems crazy to me that any reputable program would associate itself with this rubbish, even if it is a quick way of making advertising money.

2. Secondly, I've read in several articles that freedownloadmanager can be a !!****!! if you ever need to uninstall it. Any comments?

Comments, yes:
  • Sorry I missed this thread earlier.
  • I've had freedownload manager.
  • It sucks in my opinion.
  • I uninstalled it.
  • Had to take extra steps doing so.
  • I used it in conjunction with the OpenOffice org. download since it's big & I'm on dialup.
  • I also employed azureus. (bit torrent)
  • Azureus (plus) stays on HD.
  • Freedownloadmanger (minus) IMO worthless.
BTW, I'm just about tired of shoveling the (current tally) 29 pieces of junk mail into my SPAM folder at gmail...
the ones I get from Fresh Devices.
Which I had to allow to "try out" Free down(*#@$%)load Manager. pssst.

Edited by phawgg, 02 January 2005 - 09:53 PM.

patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#13 Professional

Professional

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2006 - 07:14 PM

Thanks tg1911 I was going to use Sb's Idea but LeechGet seems more trusted.
Posted Image

#14 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 844 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2006 - 03:52 AM

Yes,LeechGet is good.
You can Parse a site with it too.

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

Make full system images to restore to if your computer goes bonkers.

#15 Mr_Freeware

Mr_Freeware

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2006 - 12:09 AM

Have you got firefox browser? It has a built in manager with pause and resume!

WOAH. since when? when i had dial up, and i would get disconected while something is downloading, i would have to start all over. i was using firefox and the download window had the option to resume. but it would NEVER resume!

is that just bc of dial up? or did firefox change something???

anyway i would use GetRight when i had dialup and that would let me resume downloading where i left off whenever i got disconected. i dont know if it is still free. when i had it, it said free trial, but it NEVER expired. just SOME features it wouldnt let me use. i didnt need them anyway. i dont know if it is still like that, but it worked great for me when i had it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users