Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB failures

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 LasOz

LasOz

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 03 August 2014 - 12:31 PM

For the past few months I've been experiencing USB port problems. I've hunted around for solutions and tried them but they haven't helped.

When the problem began it was when living at University Accomidation. My Desktop computer sits next to the fridge in my room and when ever the fridge 'clicked' (i.e began an intensified use of power to run the coolant). My USB mouse would cut out for a second, the Windows 7 OS playing the 'plugged out' and 'plugged in' sound ques.

This problem worsened occassionally where 1 time in 100 clicks would cause both the Mouse and the Keyboard to cut out in the same fashion.

Upon returning home I noticed these problems were still linked to fridges. Our family fridge is in another room but whenever I heard it click I noticed a cut out of my mouse and keyboard.

Before I continue I feel I should mention that I had replaced the keyboard before coming home and the problem persisted in the same fashion, and for other reasons that will become apparent later, I have rulled out the keyboard or the mouse being the problem.

The problem has only gotten worse over the months with cut outs becoming more frequent, nearly always involving both the mouse and the keyboard and occassionally all the USB ports at the back of the computer flat out dying and the Mouse and Keyboard become unusuable. When the USB ports at the back of the tower 'die' I notice odd behaviour from all of the devices plugged at the back. The four items that use the back USB ports are: Mouse, Keyboard, Speaker power supply and USB Microphone. All react slightly differently to this event.

• The Mouse's laser is on but the pointer does not move.
  • The Keyboard will appear normal with a numlock light on but pressing on any keys causes a 'plug in' 'plug out' sound and the numlock light goes out.
  • The USB speakers are unaffected.
  • The Microphone has a power light on the front that flashes in an irregular pattern when the cut happens and it does not function.

It is worth noting the USBs at the front of the computer work fine before and after a cut event.

The only other detail I can add is high load from video rendering or computer games -used- to make cut outs very frequent, close to every 5 minutes or so, but that frequency has declined.

I have updated all drivers and the problem continues. I do not know what wattage my PSU is and I cannot take it out to inspect it. Unscrewing it from the case and it still seems to be held in by something which I cannot see.

I have had this computer for a year and a half and these USB problems only started 6 or so months ago.

What is causing these cut outs and how can I fix it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 04 August 2014 - 03:18 PM

I would put the system on a UPS. If that fixes the problem, kool. If not, I would then change the PSU.

I intentionally mentioned the UPS first because, IMO, you need that regardless, and it may fix the problem with no further expense.

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 04 August 2014 - 05:06 PM

ElfBane is dead on suggesting a UPS.  A good UPS will condition your power so that the power drops that are causing your issues will be no longer be an issue.  Personally I use an APC unit on my machine.

The UPS should resolve the issue, but again, as ElfBane mentioned the power supply would be your next.

#4 LasOz

LasOz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 15 August 2014 - 04:38 AM

I would put the system on a UPS. If that fixes the problem, kool. If not, I would then change the PSU.

I intentionally mentioned the UPS first because, IMO, you need that regardless, and it may fix the problem with no further expense.

Thank you. The USP feels safer than conventional power strips but it hasn't solved the problem. I shall look into changing the power supply.

Could anyone tell me why this problem has only come up around half way through this PC's life time, with no further alterations? The PSU seemed to be just fine and there were no USB or mouse cut-outs.

#5 Zerue

Zerue

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 17 August 2014 - 09:47 PM

Thank you. The USP feels safer than conventional power strips but it hasn't solved the problem. I shall look into changing the power supply.

Could anyone tell me why this problem has only come up around half way through this PC's life time, with no further alterations? The PSU seemed to be just fine and there were no USB or mouse cut-outs.

Electrical/Electronic parts have their lifespan as well, this particular PSU might be nearing it's end already. That, or something happened to your PSU that might cause it to fail (unstable power, etc)

If I am helping you but failed to reply within 24 hours, send me a PM.

------------------------------------

Please read these guides:

Before you post a problem

Provide system specifications

Advice on building your system

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users