Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boots straight to BIOS

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SmokeViper07

SmokeViper07

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 03 August 2014 - 11:26 AM

Hey guys I was wondering if you could point me in the right direction. I have a friend's laptop I'm working on for him that he says he lended to a co-worker and there was a lightning strike. The computer was making a clicking noise when booting and booting directly into BIOS not recognizing and bootable media. Initially, I though to try swapping hard drives since clicking in a laptop tends to point to that. I've swapped hard drives and attempted to boot to reinstall windows but it still won't get past BIOS, I'm not seeing any errors or anything and I can't boot into safe mode either. Can anyone help me pin point the issue? Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2014 - 12:16 PM

Swapping drives should at least get it to the Windows boot screen even if the drive is from another computer. When the new drive is attached, is it detected in BIOS? If possible, remove the CMOS battery and main battery. Remove any power adapter and press the power button down for 30 seconds. Replace the CMOS battery but not the main battery. Attach the Power Adapter and see if you can boot past BIOS.

The lightning strike may have damaged the motherboard.

#3 SmokeViper07

SmokeViper07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2014 - 02:20 PM

Ok I will try that, I was afraid it might be the motherboard, I'm not sure if I can get to the CMOS though, I try to avoid repairs on laptops for this reason. I swapped for a brand new WD black drive and no it doesn't register in BIOS in the boot menu all it says is delete boot option, configuration isn't even selectable anymore. I'll let you know how it goes, any other tips are appreciated

EDIT: Performing a hard reset didn't work. It still boots directly to BIOS and doesn't recognize the hard drive or even a bootable USB. I didn't remove the CMOS though.

Edited by SmokeViper07, 03 August 2014 - 02:51 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2014 - 02:54 PM

If your friend does not want to spend money for the repair he may be able to use a OS that loads in memory. Something like Puppy linux would work. If the computer can boot from a USB flash drive, that would be best solution but if the BIOS cannot detect a hard drive I doubt it would be able to detect an attached USB flash drive. Good Luck.

#5 SmokeViper07

SmokeViper07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2014 - 03:31 PM

You're right, it's starting to seem like the only options is a bad Motherboard. It won't boot from a USB so I guess I should start looking for decent replacement laptops for him. Thanks for the help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users