Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to keep Windows Media Player from connecting to internet

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TripodBob

TripodBob

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 03 August 2014 - 11:10 AM

Using XP Home and  Windows Media Player 11.  I have done 3 things to keep media player from accessing the internet:

1. added following to Hosts file:

0.0.0.0 windowsmedia.com
    0.0.0.0 services1.windowsmedia.com
    0.0.0.0 www.windowsmedia.com
    0.0.0.0 redir.metaservices.windowsmedia.com.akadns.net
    0.0.0.0 serviceswitching.metadata.windowsmedia.com.akadns.net

2. Unchecked all the privacy options in Media Player

3. Checked 'Work Offline' in the Media Player File menu.

After all that, Windows Defender/ Software Explorer/ Network Connected Programs still shows Windows Media Player has numerous TCP connections to various IP addresses. 

Is there anything else I can do besides installing a firewall?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,502 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 03 August 2014 - 12:59 PM

You can disable its plugin(s) in your browser(s).

You can set another media player as the default player.

Could be something else in WMP that is accessing the web....like Netflix.

Have you scanned for malware/ adware? Try using Malware Bytes AntiMalware Free and AdwRemover.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free

AdwCleaner Download

If you don't have a Firewall....or have XP's firewall disabled....that would be a very risky....very risky.

Maybe your router has a hardware firewall.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 TripodBob

TripodBob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2014 - 07:11 PM

I've been using Malwarebytes Pro for years. I just ran AdwCleaner which found a few things which I removed but didn't solve my issue.  I also have the default XP firewall enabled.  Don't use netflix or anything else associated with WMP that I am aware of.

I used Tracert to get the URL's from the IP addresses. I've listed a few in case they mean something to somebody.

deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com

us-west-1.compute.amazonaws.com

lasvegas-nv-datacenter.com

jfk5.r.cloudfront.net

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,502 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2014 - 07:58 PM

Look in WMP for any addon for Amazon. Two of those domains...one obviously Amazon...and cloudfront is Amazon, too.

akamai distributes website content for companies such as Twitter, Facebook, Bing, etc.

Use CCleaner to remove ALL cookies, temporary files, logs, etc. If you use Firefox you can use the settings for Firefox to only

allow session cookies for Amazon, Twitter, Facebook, etc. That's what I do to keep Amazon from tracking me when 'window shopping'

and sending emails related to products I view on their and others sites. I make sure to log out of Amazon and all other sites that have any of

my financial info.

CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download Pay close attention while installing and be sure to UNcheck offers for toolbars such as Yahoo.

Use the default settings. No need to use the Registry Cleaner and it has the potential to cause problems.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 TripodBob

TripodBob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:56 AM

I've also been using CCleaner for years and keep it up-to-date.  I don't see any add-ons in WMP so can't figure out why amazon is involved. I've bought CD's from amazon but never downloaded their music.

I've verified the same IP's by using Windows Defender or netstat so the connections are real.

I get 6-10 IP's show up when I start WMP; some of them are always the same, others vary. Starting WMP offline seems to help but not always...about half the time WMP still connects to the 'net.

I do use other better behaving players for mp3's and don't really want to fool with an additional software firewall. I guess the next step is to see what I can do with my router.

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,502 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2014 - 11:13 AM

It's just different businesses wanting to know what you are doing and wanting to sell you something. Sorta like the NSA. :)

You can block third party/ ad/ tracking cookies in your browser(s). You will need to delete the ones presently installed

once you have blocked their install. But you will still get them in Adobe Flash unless you open Flash's Settings Manager

and change settings to block storage and cookies. Adobe - Flash Player : Settings Manager

Disable third-party cookies in IE, Firefox, and Google Chrome | How To - CNET

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users