Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Asus Desktop

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Plumber

Plumber

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 03 August 2014 - 09:57 AM

Sorry that this might be long winded but here goes.I had an Asus M11BB desktop.I had a program that that would rollback the OS to factory settings.I got a bad virus so I

tried to go back to factory.Seemed to work ok untill I lost power and was never able to boot again.I took it to the local computer store and he said that the hard drive was split into 6 partitions probably due to the rollback.Ok so he fixed the hard drive but for the life of him could not get it to boot from CD.I told him that I tried every suggestion from this site and also google and I couldn't either.Anyway he told me he could only boot from a flash drive and it had to be formatted UEFI-GPT.I got it back and it seems to work fine so I gave it to my Daughter.My question is:does his explanation sound right and how can I tell how a partition is formatted,thank-you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,990 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2014 - 10:54 AM

Booting a CD on UEFI is hard but not impossible. You have to add certain files to the bootable image in order for the boot to happen on a UEFI computer. USB is easier. Normally, to boot a CD on a UEFI computer, you have to change the mode in BIOS from UEFI to Legacy. On Windows 8, Secure boot also has to be disabled and Fastboot if it is enabled.

You can see your formatted partitions in Disk Management.

Edited by JohnC_21, 03 August 2014 - 10:55 AM.

#3 Plumber

Plumber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2014 - 12:10 PM

Thank-you for the reply.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users