Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Pro upgraded to windows 8

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 samlight

samlight

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 03 August 2014 - 09:24 AM

Hi, my name is Sam and I have a situation that I have never seen before.  I have a Windows XP Pro machine from HP.  Apparently, windows became corrupted so I performed a system restore using the recovery partition on the hard drive.  The recovery went fine.  I then started the normal windows updates.  At the end of the updates I restarted the system normally.  When it restarted it somehow went to a Windows 8 startup.  I have no idea what happened or how this occurred.  I know this system cannot run on Windows 8.  What I'm trying to figure out is (1) how this happened and (2) how can I get this back to Windows XP Pro.  I believe the recovery partition is destroyed because I can't get back to it.  I tried to reinstall Windows XP Pro from an OEM disk but now I get a BSOD screen with the code 0x0000007B.  In my years of working with windows operating systems I have never seen a situation like this.  Does anybody have any ideas as to how to correct this issue.  Thank you in advance for your time and considerations.

Sam

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,778 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 03 August 2014 - 09:49 AM

Do you have a valid COA sticker, if so try to borrow a copy of Pro.  Your COA license number will work do not use the other parties number, using the other parties will cause issues.  Microsoft will flag your machine with a 30 day kill notice!

Reload the system but make sure you turn off auto up date, it has things you do not want obviously!

Edited by OldPhil, 03 August 2014 - 09:51 AM.

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 03 August 2014 - 04:37 PM

First of all - welcome to BC !

While OldPhil's advice will work, XP install discs do not grow on trees and can be quite hard to find and borrow when you need one.

You say you used the recovery partition on your hard drive to do the restore. This should have restored your computer to an ex-works condition leaving you to remove all the free offer software, catch up with umpteen updates, and re-install all your applications. And if HP installed XP on this computer, Win 8 didn't exist then.

I would be inclined to have a word with HP's service department, either by phone or e-mail, and see what they have to say. They may of course not say very much at all in which case go OldPhil's route.

This is what MS have to say on the subject of your blue screen error code :-

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324103

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users