Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cant open pictures or songs on hard drive

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JasonAuss

JasonAuss

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 03 August 2014 - 02:42 AM

Hi, I have an external drive that holds over 10 years of family photos and music, a couple of days ago my wife was looking at some pictures and one started to pixel. I thought the hard drive was crashing as we started to struggle to open other pictures so I purchased a new drive and transferred all the contents to that.  Now I am getting the error "cant open pictures as the file seems to be damaged, corrupt or too large" I don't know what to do and this will be devastating to loose all these memories, can someone please help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 03 August 2014 - 10:17 AM

Hello, and Welcome,

It's possible the bad hard drive's file system was corrupted enough where you could see the files and folders to copy but the data copied was corrupt. Do you still have access to the bad drive? After attaching the bad drive to the computer, go to Disk Management. Is the drive listed as RAW?

#3 Frozwire

Frozwire

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 08 August 2014 - 11:22 PM

That drive may have started to have some physical media corruption. Best way to confirm whether the problem is on the drive or in your system is to try to plug the external drive on to a different computer. If the same problem persists on a different computer then its possibly the drive and definitely a backup procedure is needed.

"Encryption...is a powerful defensive weapon for free people. It offers a technical guarantee of privacy, regardless of who is running the government... It's hard to think of a more powerful, less dangerous tool for liberty...” - Esther Dyson

#4 PanickyD

PanickyD

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 08 August 2014 - 11:43 PM

If you can still access the drive, it's possible that one these free file recovery tools might do the trick for you. If the drive is physically damaged though, you may be out of luck. I learned the hard way too, that current back-ups are a must. A freebie program called SyncBack made it easy enough that I didn't mind doing it often.

After the game, the King and the Pawn go into the same box...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users