Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BIOS reset to default so AHCI setting lost to IDE

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 drstanton

drstanton

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 02 August 2014 - 10:32 PM

Today I used the AMD CCC overdrive utility and found my processor clocked at 4 GHz from the standard 3.6 GHz...very unstable. I reset the BIOS to default and lost my SATA controller setting of AHCI. When I set the BIOS to AHCI windows crashes with "can't find device error".

The registry setting for msahci is still at the value zero.

The system was rock solid with a Samsung 840 EVO. Samsung Magician indicates it is unable to detect SATA interface details.

Gigabyte GA970A-D3

AMD FX4100 3.6 Ghz

8GB generic memory 1600  

Gigabyte 7750 graphics card

Win 7 home premium

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,994 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 03 August 2014 - 05:29 PM

First of all - welcome to BC !

The Gigabyte manual should be able to provide the info to solve this problem. If you don't have a copy you can download one (pdf) from here :-

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3908#manual

I can usually fix BIOS problems, but I can't do it from memory, and I can't cycle through my own BIOS and use the web at the same time !

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#3 drstanton

drstanton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 03 August 2014 - 08:08 PM

Hi Chris,

After reading the manual I decided to set SATA ports 4/5 to "SATA type" from IDE, in addition to setting SATA ports 0/1/2/3 to AHCI

The system now boots fine and Samsung Magician indicates AHCI is enabled.

TY

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,994 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 04 August 2014 - 06:02 PM

Glad it's sorted !

As NickAu has been known to say on occasion "Reading manuals will NOT give you leprosy"

I know - I normally only read them when I get into trouble as well.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users