Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer freezing after fresh install

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 maxell505

maxell505

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 02 August 2014 - 07:54 PM

Hi everyone. I got this all-in-one computer with a touchscreen from my uncle and I installed a fresh copy of Windows 7 for it. The install went great and everything went fine but I did the Windows update thing and after it shutdown and went to restart it took a very long time to boot up. It was stuck on the Windows 7 boot screen for about 5 minutes. It finally booted up but when I clicked on the start button it froze. This computer is basically fresh because I have not installed a single program on it yet. I shut it down via the power button since I could not access the shut down button. On the boot screen it said that Windows did not shutdown correctly and it gave me some options to select. It gave me an option to start Windows normally or start it in safemode and it gave me an option to start with command prompt. Right now it is booting as I type this. I will post a reply to this post if it freezes up on me again. Please someone help me. Thank you. The computer is an HP Touchsmart 320-1030 PC. Thank you everyone in advance.

Moderator Edit Moved from Windows 8 forum to a more appropriate forum

Thanks Cat

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 03 August 2014 - 12:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 maxell505

maxell505
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2014 - 08:11 PM

So it got off of the Windows boot screen and I have posted a picture of the screen it came up with

EDIT: ok so the file was too big to upload. I uploaded it to dropbox and made it public. Here is the link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/46e5edy1xajn0zt/IMG_20140802_210816.jpg

Edited by maxell505, 02 August 2014 - 08:15 PM.

#3 Easy014

Easy014

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 02 August 2014 - 08:44 PM

Hmm, did the computer come pre-installed with windows 8 from the faactory? If so, it could be a simple secure boot UEFI config error. If not, then i'd bet on hard drive failure.. If you can, I'd recommend booting into a live Linux enviroment and through the package manager of your choice installing gsmartcontrol. Through gsmart check the SMART attributes and perform a short test. After all is said and done post the results here.

#4 maxell505

maxell505
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2014 - 08:53 PM

Hmm, did the computer come pre-installed with windows 8 from the faactory? If so, it could be a simple secure boot UEFI config error. If not, then i'd bet on hard drive failure.. If you can, I'd recommend booting into a live Linux enviroment and through the package manager of your choice installing gsmartcontrol. Through gsmart check the SMART attributes and perform a short test. After all is said and done post the results here.

No the computer came preinstalled with Windows 7 but this same booth error was occurring. I thought a fresh copy of Windows 7 would work but it did not.

#5 maxell505

maxell505
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2014 - 08:56 PM

If you can, I'd recommend booting into a live Linux enviroment and through the package manager of your choice installing gsmartcontrol. Through gsmart check the SMART attributes and perform a short test. After all is said and done post the results here.

I am burning Ubuntu onto a USB drive right now. I will install that program and post the results

#6 maxell505

maxell505
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2014 - 11:39 AM

The program would not install. Is there any way I can install the program on windows. Its just that I am more familiar with Windows.

#7 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,889 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2014 - 12:16 PM

If you can, I'd recommend booting into a live Linux enviroment and through the package manager of your choice installing gsmartcontrol. Through gsmart check the SMART attributes and perform a short test. After all is said and done post the results here.

I am burning Ubuntu onto a USB drive right now. I will install that program and post the results

Ubuntu is a good option, won't require 10 sets of updates & reboots, you'll update the first time & fairly much be done with the install. Generally speaking, a Linux install, including configuration, takes 10-15% of the time it would a Windows one. Especially Windows 7, with the 200+ updates after SP1 was released in 2011. 

What could have been making that Windows 7 install freeze & I don't see any reference to it, so I'll ask. Where the drivers installed prior to updating? The chipset driver Must be installed before anything, then the ACHI driver, graphics, sound, Ethernet/wireless, USB & whatever else may be needed. The Device Manager is the place to look to determine missing drivers. 

The cool thing about Linux, is that most of these will automatically load during the install process, one reason why it's suggested to be actively connected to the Internet at this time. Speaking of which, some of these drivers are included in the LInux ISO, otherwise one wouldn't be able to have Internet access as soon as booted into. 

Though I prefer Linux MInt over Ubuntu. 

If for whatever reason your computer freezes after the Ubuntu install, then there's a good chance of a hardware issue. Oftentimes the HDD if very slow. 

Do you have the recovery media for this computer, which would consist of around three DVD's? I ask because if you use these, everything should load factory fresh & the drivers will be installed. You can order these from HP if needed, last time I had to obtain a set for someone else, the cost was around $17, including tax & shipping. There is normally a link on the model's page where the specs, drivers & optional software are, near the bottom of the page. This may say "Looking for Recovery Media?". 

In order to obtain these, follow the instructions, your model & serial numbers will be needed. The ones I ordered arrived in less than a week & these were for a Windows 7 computer. 

EDIT: Have requested Moderator to move to the appropriate section of the Forum. Not a Windows 8 Topic. 

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 03 August 2014 - 12:25 PM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#8 maxell505

maxell505
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2014 - 12:43 PM

Ubuntu is a good option, won't require 10 sets of updates & reboots, you'll update the first time & fairly much be done with the install. Generally speaking, a Linux install, including configuration, takes 10-15% of the time it would a Windows one. Especially Windows 7, with the 200+ updates after SP1 was released in 2011. 

What could have been making that Windows 7 install freeze & I don't see any reference to it, so I'll ask. Where the drivers installed prior to updating? The chipset driver Must be installed before anything, then the ACHI driver, graphics, sound, Ethernet/wireless, USB & whatever else may be needed. The Device Manager is the place to look to determine missing drivers. 

The cool thing about Linux, is that most of these will automatically load during the install process, one reason why it's suggested to be actively connected to the Internet at this time. Speaking of which, some of these drivers are included in the LInux ISO, otherwise one wouldn't be able to have Internet access as soon as booted into. 

Though I prefer Linux MInt over Ubuntu. 

If for whatever reason your computer freezes after the Ubuntu install, then there's a good chance of a hardware issue. Oftentimes the HDD if very slow. 

Do you have the recovery media for this computer, which would consist of around three DVD's? I ask because if you use these, everything should load factory fresh & the drivers will be installed. You can order these from HP if needed, last time I had to obtain a set for someone else, the cost was around $17, including tax & shipping. There is normally a link on the model's page where the specs, drivers & optional software are, near the bottom of the page. This may say "Looking for Recovery Media?". 

In order to obtain these, follow the instructions, your model & serial numbers will be needed. The ones I ordered arrived in less than a week & these were for a Windows 7 computer. 

EDIT: Have requested Moderator to move to the appropriate section of the Forum. Not a Windows 8 Topic. 

Cat

I am so sorry I am making things harder but I do not have the funds at the moment to buy a recovery CD. I do however have a fresh copy of Windows 7 and I do have the website for which all of the drivers for this computer are located at. When I installed Windows 7, I first had to put the network driver onto USB drive from another computer and than install it from there because fresh Windows 7 did not have the driver for my network card. After installing that I went to Windows Update and than I installed all of the drivers that it told me to install. After this I started having this problem. Maybe some drivers might be causing some issues. I do not have to install these drivers. As long as my touch screen works and all my peripherals and sound work I am completely fine. Here is the HP support website which lists all the drivers for my computer. If necessary I can install the drivers I need from this website: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=4063&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=5157096

#9 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,091 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2014 - 01:06 PM

Hi, Instead of using the drivers from Windows Update, You should be using the Drivers from the HP website for this computer. The drivers from Windows update are not optimized for Your hardware and can easily cause problems. That fact may be the source of Your problem. Can You do a System restore back to before the Windows update was run and install the HP Drivers?

Have You tried to use the HP factory Recovery partition?

From this page:

Recovery from the startup screen (during system boot)
If Windows 7 does not open correctly, perform the following steps to recover the computer:
note.png
NOTE:If the recovery partition on the hard disk drive is not functioning correctly, this method does not work and an error message appears. If an error message indicates that System Recovery cannot be run from the startup screen, a set of recovery discs is needed to perform a system recovery. Follow the instructions listed in the section Recovery from recovery discs .
  1. Turn off the computer.
  2. Disconnect all connected devices and cables such as Personal Media Drives, USB drives, printers, and faxes. Remove media from internal drives, and remove any recently added internal hardware. Do not disconnect the monitor, keyboard, mouse, or power cord .
  3. Turn on the computer and repeatedly press the F11 key, about once every second, until Recovery Manager opens.
    Figure 7: Recovery Manager

c01892856.gif

1. Under I need help immediately , click System Recovery .
    2. When System Recovery prompts you to back up your files, select a backup option:
      • If you have already backed up personal files or you do not want to back up personal files, select Recover without backing up your files , and then click Next . Continue to the next step.
    3. Click OK in the warning that appears.
    4. After the system recovery is complete, click Finish to restart the computer. Complete the setup screens and wait until the computer finishes the setup.
    5. Once the setup is complete, turn off the computer, reconnect all devices and cables, and then turn on the computer.
    6. Before using the computer, update and protect your computer. Reinstall any virus and security software that was installed before the system recovery.
    7. Reinstall any software programs that were added after purchasing the computer, as well as any files that were backed up.

Hopefully that will work for You. If it does, use some quality blank DVDs and make the recovery disk set using the HP software

Good Luck

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 03 August 2014 - 01:07 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#10 maxell505

maxell505
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2014 - 05:46 PM

So before I saw this post I somehow got into running chkdsk on my computer. It has been running since morning and has been stuck on this screen. Now I do not have anything important on this computer and I do have an extra copy of Windows. Would it be alright if I shut off my computer while it is running chkdsk and just reinstall Windows 7 and than install the drivers from the HP Support Website. I do not want to do the HP Recovery, mainly because I do not have the time to buy any blank DVD's as I have to return this computer to my uncle the day after tomorrow. Please inform me if I can just shut off my computer and than just reinstall Windows and than just install the drivers that my computer needs from the HP Support website and not use the Windows Update feature. Thank you so much. The attatchment is a picture of how the chkdsk screen has been stuck on for an hour or so.

Roger

Here is the link because the file is too large to be attached: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9yrxzj9u6200api/IMG_20140803_183747.jpg

Edited by hamluis, 09 August 2014 - 10:51 AM.
Removed unnecessary quotebox - Hamluis.

#11 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,091 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2014 - 06:28 PM

Hi, Since it is a HP i think it is time to do a little checking, When You power on the computer and the HP logo appears there should be a press F10 for Bios setup, Go into the Bios and look for the Hard drive Diagnostics and run that, Depending on the age there may also be a Memory test. If so do both.

The Chkdsk being stuck like that could be a sign of a failing hard drive so You should eliminate that as a possible problem.

Good Luck

Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#12 maxell505

maxell505
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2014 - 07:13 PM

I got to that point and when I got to the screen that allows me to boot into my UEFI or BIOS. I am thinking it is a UEFI, not a BIOS because it gives me the option to run the UEFI application. I cannot find my hard drive testing features. When i click on the run UEFI application nothing happens. It doesn't run. I do not know what to do now.

EDIT: HERE IS THE LINK TO THE PICTURE. SORRY I FORGOT TO POST IT EARLIER: https://www.dropbox.com/s/l6l5zw4ggsabevr/IMG_20140803_195132%20%281%29.jpg

Edited by hamluis, 09 August 2014 - 10:52 AM.

#13 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,091 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2014 - 09:48 PM

Ok from this page try this.

Customers can check hard drives using the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics - UEFI hard drive test instead:
  1. Turn on the computer and press Esc repeatedly until the BIOS Boot Menu appears.
  2. Press F2 or select Diagnostics (F2) to open the Diagnostics menu.
    note.png
    NOTE: Pressing F2 opens the diagnostics menu to either the full UEFI Diagnostics (if the hard drive is still available) or from the UEFI Basic Test (if the hard drive is corrupt or unrecognized).
  3. Select Hard Disk Test or Hard Disk Check .

If the driver passes all the tests then You can move on to re-installing Windows.

Did You ever try to see if the HP system Recovery still functions?

Good Luck

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#14 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,889 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2014 - 11:00 PM

As I recall, repeatedly pressing F11 at boot will make the Recovery Manager run by itself. Meaning no DVD's has to be created (at the current time), should the reinstall go through. 

Though I suggest that whomever this computer belongs to should create these, as only three DVD-R's (or +R) are required. DVD+RW media will not work. As to any Windows 7 software purchased, if it hasn't been activated, can be used on another computer. One reason why I always download the version needed & there's 30 days to activate. 

I have also seen this happen, the install of Linux will fix the Recovery Partition to working condition. This was the case with my HP. Don't know how Linux MInt fixed this, but it did. And every time I fire up a computer that has Linux Mint installed with a Recovery Partition present, the Grub bootloader will display that option as a boot menu entry. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#15 maxell505

maxell505
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2014 - 03:19 PM

Mod Edit:  Please do not use the Quote button to post a reply...use the Reply To This Topic button POST button - Hamluis.

Ok so I had a talk with the owner of this computer and he decided that he will pay the money to buy a replacement hard drive. Now I just need to know if when I buy the replacement hard drive from amazon, will I just be able to install Windows and carry on with the computer running absolutely fine?

PS: I have a fresh copy of Windows that I haven't used so I would like to use that to install Windows on the new hard drive.

Edited by hamluis, 09 August 2014 - 10:56 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users