Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

intel hdmi audio driver disappears

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mlhutche

mlhutche

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 02 August 2014 - 06:45 PM

New kid here, who posted this first in the windows 8 forum, but probably should've put it here.  Oops.

Pulled my graphics card as a test because it may have been causing problems, but that isn't for this post.  My problem is a "disappearing" intel hdmi audio driver.  My monitor is connected with HDMI, so once I pulled the graphics card I installed the "Intel Display Audio HDMI1" driver.  Worked fine, EXCEPT every time the computer sleeps the driver disappears and I must reinstall.  I've now set the computer not to sleep.  Win 8.1 64 bit, I7, Intel 4000 onboard graphics.  Thanks, Mike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mlhutche

mlhutche
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2014 - 07:35 PM

Update: The driver disappears whether it's the monitor that sleeps or the computer.  In both cases, as should be, get a message "no hdmi input", then the screen goes dark.  In both cases, individually tested, when I wake up either the monitor or the computer, the audio symbol indicates having audio capability, but very quickly goes "red x" and upon opening the sound driver window, the intel hdmi audio driver is missing.

Also, at that point when I run the audio troubleshooter, it indicates the speakers are not plugged in, although I haven't touched anything since verifying, after reinstalling the driver, that the audio is functioning.

#3 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 05 August 2014 - 07:58 PM

Hi, please post the motherboard model next time please or run this program.

Try downloading Speccy and then install the program.  To post and publish a snapshot of your PC.
. In the Menu bar, click File -> Publish Snapshot
. Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard
. On your next reply, right-click on a empty space and click Paste on reply box then click Post.

Tekken

#4 mlhutche

mlhutche
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2014 - 02:33 AM

Sorry I took awhile.  Live on Oahu and preparing for a possibile hurricane.  Appreciate your attention.  Ran Speccy, after checking it out, and:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/1ClglPsvXToXKwokt7UQOKh

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2014 - 07:44 PM

Is it a Dell XPS (what model number?) desktop, based on the motherboard specs.?

so once I pulled the graphics card I installed the "Intel Display Audio HDMI1" driver.  Worked fine, EXCEPT every time the computer sleeps the driver disappears and I must reinstall.

There are various complaints with regard to the sleep function on desktop computer, mainly because this power saving feature is not mostly designed or universal to different hardware product components being installed on our desktop. The hardware starting from the motherboard, power supply, video/sound card, usb/pci devices and hard drive must all comply to the unspecified or not well documented sleep and or hibernate function. Adding to this are their software drivers which may be buggy or not compatible to the Windows power functions. If one component and or driver did not meet either hardware or software compatibility within your setup, then this power saving feature will fail as in your case. Therefore, it is recommended to just disable this power saving features to avoid unwanted system and driver corruption and hardware (hard drive) damage due to improper restarts. Have seen this link during my troubles with desktop on sleep functions as it is well explained and unfortunately cannot find it due to my numerous bookmarked pages.

Tekken

#6 mlhutche

mlhutche
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:24 PM

XPS 8500.  No problem with sleep functions in the 1 1/2 years I've had it.  Now that I pulled the video card and am using the Intel 4000 onboard graphics, the Intel HDMI sound driver has a related issue?  Seems odd.  In the 60s I could program in machine language sitting at a punchcard machine.  A little more complicated now.

#7 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:49 PM

The sudden change or malfunction might have come from a hardware or software driver update over time. It could be a PSU voltage not addressing the correct output on wake of computer, a motherboard internal, an addon component, a usb device attached, driver and so forth. These are not easily diagnosed, if it works on your current setup then its always a plus, but since there are different variables on a desktop, it is realy hard to determine given the hardware and software determinants.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users