Jump to content


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.


How do I replace my old, corrupted hard drive with a new one?

  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 paco1200


  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 02 August 2014 - 05:50 PM

Hey everyone,


Recently I've purchased and installed a new 2TB hard drive to replace my old 1TB hard drive that has very recently shown signs of severe corruption. I was able to save all my pictures, videos, game saves, and other important data that couldn't be re-installed on my new hard drive. So recovering any old data is no issue. However, I'm having problems knowing what steps to take to partition my new hard drive so it'll work and run smoothly. I've tried doing this patiently with my computer being opened normally while its grasping to stay alive only to not find the "new partition" option available in disk management. Instead I get the option of creating a "new simple volume" which I assumed wasn't the same thing.


So my main problem is how exactly can I partition my new hard drive if I can't do so with my computer booted up regularly?


Thanks for any help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)


#2 saw101


  • Members
  • 463 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The Great Pacific Northwest
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 02 August 2014 - 07:34 PM

Easeus Partition Master is popular, user friendly, & totally free.


You can get it from here: http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

#3 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2014 - 09:58 PM

Easeus Partition Master will work.....You  can also download the software from the hard drives manufacture that will move your operating system from the old drive to the new drive, they provide this for free too

#4 hamluis



  • Moderator
  • 56,280 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Killeen, TX

Posted 04 August 2014 - 03:25 PM

Just a word...if you have extensive file corruption on a drive...and you clone it to another drive...the file corruption is probably still going to be there.  I've cloned a troubled drive with extensive corruption before...the result was just a partition into which I could not boot or access any files.



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users