Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which of the following would you buy?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ryrhino

ryrhino

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 02 August 2014 - 04:58 PM

Hello,

I am wondering which of the following computers would be best to buy?
I am not a gamer.  Using pc to access internet and other basic tasks. No video editing.
Want to spend $500 or less.  The cheaper the pc is the better.  Would like pc to hopefully last 5 years or more.

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/335783/Lenovo-H535-57324741-Desktop-Computer-With/

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/948674/HP-Pavilion-500-c60-Desktop-Computer/

http://www.staples.com/HP-Pavilion-500-281-Desktop-PC/product_158755

http://www.staples.com/Dell-Inspiron-I660-3049BK-Desktop-PC/product_12241

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Dell-Inspiron-3000-Desktop-PC-with-Intel-Core-i3-4150-Processor-4GB-Memory-1TB-Hard-Drive-and-Windows-8.1-Monitor-Not-Included/36976913

Do I need to be concerned with buying a computer with Windows 7 instead of Windows 8?  Most people decided to upgrade their pcs if they had Windows XP.  Don't want to get a pc with Windows 7 and need to upgrade in a year or 2 if support for Windows 7 stops.

I am open to other suggestions for pcs as well.

Thanks for your time and help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 02 August 2014 - 09:36 PM

Either the HP Pavilion 500-c60 or the Dell Inspiron I660-3049BK

Personally I'd go for quad core AMD over the i3 which is a dual core.

If you're willing to go with a refurbished machine you could get a better machine for the same money.  I posted this HP 8100 (NE2-0019) for someone else looking for a sub $500 machine.

#3 ryrhino

ryrhino
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2014 - 09:46 PM

Either the HP Pavilion 500-c60 or the Dell Inspiron I660-3049BK

Personally I'd go for quad core AMD over the i3 which is a dual core.

If you're willing to go with a refurbished machine you could get a better machine for the same money.  I posted this HP 8100 (NE2-0019) for someone else looking for a sub $500 machine.

What makes the refurbished machine better or just as good as a new machine?  I don't know the answer why I am asking.

Also the HP Pavilion 500-c60 has a processor speed of 2.0 GHz is that considered too slow?

What is difference of quad core and dual core?

Which files/folders do I need to transfer to new pc?  What is easiest way to trasfer?  Using external hard drive, flash drive, or cloud storage?  When transfering files is using drag/drop and copy/paste the same thing?

Thanks.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2014 - 05:27 AM

Here's a HP Pavilion 500 from Woot (an Amazon company).  The only problem with Woot is that the deals change daily, so you only have 24 hours to buy.  However it is also a good place to check if you're looking for a machine as they show up quite frequently.

A refurbished machine has actually been tested to ensure it works.  The reason that it is refurbished will not generally be known, some are lease returns, some were returned after purchase for one reason or another.  In either case the issue has been corrected and the machine tested.

What is the speed of the i3 processor?  I only ask because after years of convincing consumers that CPU speed was important Intel and AMD hit a wall at 5Ghz and had to make improvements in other areas.

Quad core is four CPUs and dual core is two CPUs.  Intel offers Hyperthreading to make the two cores seem like four, AMD does not use a similar technology.  Adding more CPUs to the chip was one of the ways that the CPU manufacturers added more performance.  The number of CPUs helps when you do more things at once or if you use multi threaded applications.  A good example of a multi threaded application is Handbrake.  When re-encoding a DVD to a different format I can max out all 12 cores on my machine to get the job done faster.

The easiest way for most people to move their data to their new machine is Microsoft's Easy Transfer.  You can transfer your data, but your programs will have to be reinstalled.  Using Easy Transfer the easiest way for most people is to put both machines on the same network and transfer over the network.  After the data is transferred keep the old machine around until you are sure that you have all of the data you need.  If you need assistance on this post to a new thread in the appropriate OS forum when you are ready to transfer your data.

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,071 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 03 August 2014 - 11:09 AM

I have had both HP & Dell, IMO hands down Dell is superior both in support and quality.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#6 ryrhino

ryrhino
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2014 - 02:04 PM

My current pc is an hp.  I have had it for at least 7 years with no hardware issues or hardware replacements.  Hope to find replacement pc to last at least that long with no hardware issues.

Never have had a Dell before.

Is this one worth considering?

http://computers.woot.com/offers/hp-pavilion-amd-a10-4-1ghz-desktop-1?ref=cnt_wp_1_6

Condition Factory Reconditioned is that just as good as a new machine?

I have looked at woot before.  Thanks for the reminder.

Edited by ryrhino, 03 August 2014 - 02:05 PM.

#7 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2014 - 05:45 PM

Factory reconditioned can be as good as, or better than a new machine, or it can also be worse.  The only possible issue I would have with the HP Pavilion 500-189 would be that it only has a 90 day warranty, if that is important to you.  Normally if electronics are going to fail it would be in the first 90 days, so you should be fine.  Going with a reconditioned or refurbished machine can be a cost savings or a problem, it is a chance you take, but you take the same chance when you purchase a new machine.  I have purchased reconditioned and refurbished in the past and had no issues, your mileage may vary.  I meerly point them out as a way to get more machine for your money.

As for HP or Dell, they both make both good and not so good machines.  Their business offerings are good, but the consumer offering vary with price.  I've owned or worked on machines from most of the major manufacturers.  Normally you get what you pay for.

#8 PanickyD

PanickyD

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 03 August 2014 - 09:28 PM

It all boils down to what Kilroy says in post #7. Refurbs can be a great deal, or they can be a headache. I've purchased 4 refurbed items in my life, 2 were awesome and 2 were lemons. If you are willing to take the chance on one, do your homework and look around. Lots of places offer refurbs, and prices vary wildly and warranties are usually very short. Personally, I will never buy a refurb again. It's just not worth the risk to me. I'd rather pay a little more and get something shiny new, and with a longer warranty.

As far as operating systems go, that's a toughie... Win8 was designed for a touchscreen, and using it without one is klunky and unintuitive, at least for me. (and millions of others who hate it) I love Win7 and plan on using it for a long time. But your concern about MS ending support for it is valid. They held on to XP way longer than were expected to or required to. Lets hope they do the same thing with Win7. But Win8 is their baby and they are pouring so many resources into it, they may not have much left to devote to Win7, so time will tell....

That brings us to Windows 9, which could be just around the corner. If you have time to wait, that could be an option for you also. Supposedly it is going to merge some of the beloved features of Win7 back into the fold, but will still be designed for a touchscreen. Google Windows 9 and see if it looks like something worth waiting a bit for.

After the game, the King and the Pawn go into the same box...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users