Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP pc with faulty i7 cpu

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 gossylad

gossylad

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 02 August 2014 - 04:17 PM

Hi, at the end of dec 2012, we purchased a HP pc with a i7 cpu from a well known home shopping retailer.

However, in 2013 that cpu ended up being faulty and we were told to contact HP and they would arrange a take away and repair which could take up to 2 weeks for a pick up.

Or we could get it repaired at a local engineer with a report from them of the manufacturing fault, error, repair costs etc.

So, needing the pc for home and work stuff, we decided to take it to a local pc engineer in his shop who we have happily used before as we couldn't wait for 2 weeks to get it picked up and then another 2 weeks to get it fixed.

But, after contacting HP themselves about the problem, we were told that if we got a 3rd party engineer to look at it the warranty would infact be void and HP themselves wouldn't touch it.

So, after going back to the retailer about getting costs reimbursed, we were quoted with:

'If the repair is economical we will able to reimburse you for the cost of repair. Under the Sales of Goods Act we can refuse a repair if it is disproportionately costly.'

But, basically, what had happened is that the cpu had somehow blown and killed itself and the motherboard. The local engineer had also tried using one of his i7 cpus in the motherboard and it too was killed when the pc was started up.

So, in the end had to have new motherboard and cpu. Now knowing the cost of cpus, we decided just to go with a basic Celeron cpu as we were thinking that the retailer would reimburse us for all costs or we would get a i7 cpu to replace the original that was in the ordered pc.

So, are we right in thinking that we are all good to send a copy of all reports and costs into this retailer and expect a full reimbursment of all costs. As even though our year warranty with the retailer is now up, we are still covered by the sale of goods act as EU law creates a minimum period of two years in which a faulty product can be returned, and in England and Wales the figure is six years.

Any help on this would be much appreciated as we actually want to get back to the actual model of cpu that we brought and paid for, not have to carry on with a lower cpu model at a price of a higher cpu model along with the new build and repair costs.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 03 August 2014 - 07:15 AM

I couldn't say.  Did the retailer advise you to have the work carried out by a third party repairer?  Perhaps a call to your local Trading Standards office or Citizens Advice will be worthwhile to see what they have to say about it?

Here is Citizens Advice guide on repair/replacement of faulty goods.

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users