Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Never get a program without knowing how their support works.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_no.id-void_*

Guest_no.id-void_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 02 August 2014 - 04:11 PM

Hello.

Just joined.  My hell started about 2 weeks ago.  Everything was going well, I had just updated malwarebytes [mbam]when I got a message from them asking if I would try their new version I had bought my old version some years ago. They made the new version sound like the best thing since gold, and I finally did download it tho my motto is 'if it ain't broke don't fix it ; not in this day and age."

Their customer service isn't bad; it's like this:  I thanked 'god' they aren't where I can reach them.

To summarize, they have no phone support; it is all by email. It took almost a week for them to get back to me.  They only half read my emails and considered none of my needs, just started demanding non-applicable things.  I had to repeat everything to them over and over innumerable times.  I lost time, money, health, work, and told them so and it was so what.

Their great new version closed itself everytime I went online.  I made scans with 5 top programs, the machine was clean, but that didn't satisfy them.  I got a pro out and he left with a good bit of my money after pronouncing my machine amazingly clean and good running tho an antique.  [I do everything for it- i have a new one I never use.] Malwarebytes didn't care.  By now I was screaming to get the program I paid for back.  The only reason I was messing with them still was because that was a good program that kept us safe.  I paid for it and should have it back.  You can't download from the old versions places as it just updates to the new.  But my version didn't do that, and still got updated.

At this time I am still waiting to get back what I paid for from the get go, they still won't give it back and have tried to trick me into getting the new by saying they would give it back but then trying to get me to download a slightly older version of the new.  This though they know my computer specs.

A cautionary tale.

Edited by hamluis, 02 August 2014 - 05:42 PM.
Moved from XP to AV/AM Software - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,479 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2014 - 09:07 AM

Malwarebytes provides several ways to receive support
* Contact Consumer Support (Submit a Ticket)
* Sign-up to Malwarebytes Support - Log in to Malwarebytes Support
* Malwarebytes Support: Top Malwarebytes Anti-Malware FAQs
* Malwarebytes Support: Knowledge Base (all products)
* Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Help Forum

For any issues with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.0 the development team recommend you start a new topic in the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Help Forum and report them there.

Malwarebytes Tech Support & the Help Forum is staffed by many security experts and volunteers. They know the inner workings of the program and have direct access to the developer and research engineers. Your best option is ask and wait for them to figure out what is going on.

We are receiving an unusually high number of support tickets. Response times can be as long as three to four business days, but rest assured we will respond.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Guest_no.id-void_*

Guest_no.id-void_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 03 August 2014 - 12:01 PM

Sir:

Malwarebytes has NO PHONE SUPPORT.  When i pay for something I do not wish to go to faq or wait in hopes of a forum reply.  The email service was as I described it. 

I suspect you are not a neutral party in this. Weeks into this I a still waiting to get my program back.

In this day and age when things are becoming more and more 'buyer beware', the people have the right to all the information they can get about a product.

#4 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 03 August 2014 - 03:05 PM

If I would stop using all software that comes without (phone) support, I could just stop using computers.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#5 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,698 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2014 - 05:35 AM

I suspect you are not a neutral party in this.

This personal attack is uncalled for. You have no ground for your suspicion.

Didier Stevens

SANS ISC Senior Handler

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#6 picturecar

picturecar

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 04 August 2014 - 12:33 PM

Hi no.id-void

I have had the same problem recently with Malwarebytes not functioning, after re-installation and checking their forum, only when I sent the e-mail describing the problem they gave me an answer that showed they never actually read the e-mail.  So in a case like that I sent a letter for a refund and will see what happens.  A month is to long to get no answer for a product you pay for.  I am tired of beta testing products at my expense.  I did want to use it on a couple of networks but I liked Dick Tracy's recommendation after searching, and the company did give me a number to call.  I shouldn't have to go to user forums, when someone takes my money for a product.  Just because someone says you should, does not make it right.  There are those people that live in a good enough world, but to effective, you deal with companies that give it 100% or more. I would not do that to my customers.  

Dick Tracy is always giving good advice though.  If you want to learn, or troubleshoot it is worth going to forums to give you an edge for problem solving.   But your point is well taken. I see nothing in his message to put you off, he was trying to give you some links that may help you.  And Malwarebytes for better or worse is a fine product, they just need to get their communication act together.  I suspect it is a small company with a fast growing product.  It may be growing pains.  Whatever, I wish them well and hope they fix things soon.

Just Ignore the ignorant non-helpful remarks.  I was on the Well before anyone heard of the Internet, and most now, most have only ever been on the www.  It gets old after a while.

Every network I maintain, contains software that has a support number attached, for fast courteous support.  If not I skip them over.  The only exception is Logmein because they are next door to me.  So far I have never had a network problem that was not solved in a very quick fashion.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 04 August 2014 - 09:16 PM

Yes when compared to major anti-virus vendors, Malwarebytes is a much smaller company with a limited number of staff but it is growing worldwide. Some of the employees involved with Malwarebytes product development, research and technical support are well known security experts who have volunteered their time to assist victims of malware infection long before these scanning tools were available. Some still stay personally involved with helping victims on security forum boards as well as provide individual support services to users of their products. This means they are personally tuned into the day to day analysis of active malware and are usually able to respond quickly to them.

"I used to volunteer for years on malware removal forums where I helped people to clean up malware, teach people how to prevent malware and made some of my own small removal tools to deal with malware. This was (and still is) my passion. Malwarebytes was built out of people from the same community, who share the same passion. A great product can only exist if there are passionate people behind it, and I wanted to become a part of this."

Mieke, Director of Research, Europe

Malwarebytes Management Team

In addition to customer support services, most anti-virus vendors have community forums like Malwarebytes. Forums are a place to go where volunteer staff and other members can offer suggestions, advice or answer questions pertaining to common issues or "How to's". Many folks prefer forums rather than making phone calls and sending email. However, I understand there also are many folks who would rather speak to a live person on the phone.

In the end...when choosing an anti-virus program, firewall or any other security software, availability of quality/prompt technical support from the vendor is always a consideration. Lack of adequate Customer Support in addressing issues related to the use of a vendor's product is one reason folks look for other alternatives. If it is a paid for product, folks will speak with their wallets.

#8 Guest_no.id-void_*

Guest_no.id-void_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 August 2014 - 08:12 PM

Thank

Hi no.id-void

I have had the same problem recently with Malwarebytes not functioning, after re-installation and checking their forum, only when I sent the e-mail describing the problem they gave me an answer that showed they never actually read the e-mail.  So in a case like that I sent a letter for a refund and will see what happens.  A month is to long to get no answer for a product you pay for.  I am tired of beta testing products at my expense.  I did want to use it on a couple of networks but I liked Dick Tracy's recommendation after searching, and the company did give me a number to call.  I shouldn't have to go to user forums, when someone takes my money for a product.  Just because someone says you should, does not make it right.  There are those people that live in a good enough world, but to effective, you deal with companies that give it 100% or more. I would not do that to my customers.  

Every network I maintain, contains software that has a support number attached, for fast courteous support.  If not I skip them over.  The only exception is Logmein because they are next door to me.  So far I have never had a network problem that was not solved in a very quick fashion.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Picturecar.

At the time that I got my Mbam pro, a good while ago, I didn't know that they had no phone support.  Indeed, they may have had phone support then.  All my significant programs that I am running now have phone support, and the programs I am considering for my newer machine do also. Trying to tackle technical problems by email is just not the way to go in my opinion.  Especially when the people charged with doing that don't read one's detailed emails through.  It is hard enought to describe a technical problem to someone not standing in front of your computer, much less by email. If the replies were instantaneous it might be better, but this was far from the case.  A non-working virus program leaves one vulnerable, is of no use.  So if I don't get prompt phone service, to my mind I don't have a program.  Thus support is part of what I pay for.

Currently, mbam has informed me that they can't give me back my old program, that it is no longer supported, even tho I had updated it on the day I decided to download the new version.  I have just 'sucked it up'  and moved on.  Why they keep to wanting to give me the new program when my computer specs, which i have sent them repeatedly, clearly show it isn't compatible with my machine, [nor is 175], is beyond me.

Maybe another instance of not reading my emails thru.

#9 Guest_no.id-void_*

Guest_no.id-void_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 August 2014 - 08:27 PM

Mr.Stevens,

Sorry.  At the time I didn't think that inferring that you had a business interest or some kind of interest in mbam  was a personal attack. If someone from a company defended their product to me without mentioning their connection to it, I wouldn't think it insulting to ask if they had an interest in the product.  Its not a crime to have a business interest in a product.  But I can see what you mean.

So again, sorry if I offended Dick Tracy.  He was the one the comment was made to.

Edited by no.id-void, 05 August 2014 - 08:30 PM.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 05 August 2014 - 08:40 PM

...Currently, mbam has informed me that they can't give me back my old program, that it is no longer supported, even tho I had updated it on the day I decided to download the new version....

There seems to be some conflicting information in regards to support of v1.75

Will you continue supporting my Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.75?

Yes, we will continue to support Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.75 free and paid (Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro) with regular database updates. You will still be protected from new threats.

What does Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.0 mean for me?

Just a reminder...in less than a year we will no longer support 1.75 and it will cease to update the database. If there are things you'd like to see changed then I would recommend you provide feedback.

AdvancedSetup, Root Admin Malwarebytes Forum, Post #169

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 05 August 2014 - 08:41 PM

You can still get v1.75 here.

#12 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,698 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2014 - 01:27 AM

Mr.Stevens,
Sorry.  At the time I didn't think that inferring that you had a business interest or some kind of interest in mbam  was a personal attack. If someone from a company defended their product to me without mentioning their connection to it, I wouldn't think it insulting to ask if they had an interest in the product.  Its not a crime to have a business interest in a product.  But I can see what you mean.
So again, sorry if I offended Dick Tracy.  He was the one the comment was made to.

You probably didn't notice that quietman7 is a moderator. He is more neutral than others here.
Anyways, thanks for your reply. We keep it friendly here, and this shows that you have that intention too.

Didier Stevens

SANS ISC Senior Handler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users