Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

VSS service not running, can't update, system restore.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 lizerb

lizerb

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 02 August 2014 - 02:18 PM

Hey guys so I originally had some malware issues, I believe and got rid of them (I hope). Now I have issues with the VSS service not running. If I try to start VSS in the services window I get an error 1053. Also whenever I do a sfc scan it says there are corrupted files but can't fix them. I am also dealing with freezes on device manager as well.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lizerb

lizerb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2014 - 08:09 PM

Bump

#3 lizerb

lizerb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:23 AM

Anyone able to help me?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,620 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:41 AM

The only thing I can think of is to register the VSS components again. Download the bat file depending on your OS, 32bit or 64bit and run it then reboot. Please read the steps in the web page first.

I would create a restore point before you do this.

#5 lizerb

lizerb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2014 - 09:21 PM

So I tried using your steps and downloading the 64 bit version, and I get a bad image error. 0xc000012f error. C:\Windows\System32\FTLIB.DLL is not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error.

#6 Plumber

Plumber

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 05 August 2014 - 08:29 AM

As far as the corrupted files that can't be fixed,try this,it worked for me.Open the command prompt with administrator privileges and type this and hit enter.

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

#7 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:16 AM

- In normal circumstances the VSS Service runs for a while and then stops.

- After having removed infections/malware it's always a good idea to run "Tweaking's Windows Repair". Malware likes to mess with one's system and this program puts A LOT OF things back to their default state. Including VSS, Windows Update. System Restore is a much "tougher cookie" to get it working again.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/windows-repair-all-in-one/

Follow the instructions provided. Disable internet & antivirus and run it with all boxes ticked. Should take about 20 to 30 minutes.

Edited by Willy22, 05 August 2014 - 09:20 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users