Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Compaq crashes and reboots

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 svenskenr

svenskenr

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 02 August 2014 - 01:19 PM

I have tried searching the forums for other reports of this problem, but maybe I am not looking for the right terms.

I have a desktop that was apparently custom-built. It was bought from a friend we have done business with for years. The cabinet says, "HP Compaq." It has an Intel Pentium 4; the speeds of the dual processors are 2.80GHz and 2.79GHz. RAM is 1.50GB. It was recently upgraded from Windows XP SP3 to Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit).

We have a similar HP desktop from the same source - therefore probably the same motherboard - which does not have the problem.

At completely random times - no one application or website seems to trigger it - it will suddenly stop and go into reboot, coming up in the BIOS screen that gives Windows restart options - Safe mode, Safe with networking, etc. There is no "BSOD" at the crash and if there is any system log taken I don't know yet where to look for it.

Sometimes it goes for quite a while without doing it, but in the past couple of days it has done it several times - at least twice today, once less than an hour after the last restart.

It had this problem under XP also. The upgrade to W7  was done because of Microsoft's announcement in April 2014 that support for XP was ending, not as an attempt to end this problem.

Is there malware out there which is known to do this? Is this a frequent HP or Pentium problem? Any ideas?

(F.Y.I., you are talking to a software person, primarily. I was trained as a mainframe programmer, and also have done technical writing. I will probably recognize a lot of terminology, and am aware that system dumps and logs are often wanted when diagnosing such things, but would appreciate instructions on where to look for such things as log files or dump files. If there is a Tutorial somewhere on such stuff, let me know.)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 02 August 2014 - 05:26 PM

Did you check to see if your PC is powerful enough to run windows 7? After looking at your specs, that would be my first suspicion.

#3 svenskenr

svenskenr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 02 August 2014 - 07:32 PM

When the cessation of Windows XP support was announced, I checked the system requirements for Windows 7 and our two machines seemed to meet them.

However, please note that I mentioned the problem existed in this one machine both under XP and under 7. It may just be a hardware issue of some kind. The installation of W7 required a complete reformat of the hard disk, so if any process survived from one to the next it would have to be in the files that were backed up to a flash drive and restored, which means it would have had to save itself among user files - I don't believe any system files were copied to backup.

(BTW, that would also have made it very likely that the problem would have spread to the second machine, which it hasn't, because the person who did the W7 install did a very disorderly transfer of the files to the USB stick and quite a few things were missing, and quite a few things had to be restored to both machines, so anything hiding among them was very likely to get copied to both hard disks at some point.)

I would like to ask, though, do you mean "powerful enough" in terms of clock speed, (2.80GHz and 2.79GHz), or in terms of RAM? If the clock speed is the issue, I'm not in the market for a new machine right now. If a little more RAM would help, that's not so bad. Also, I believe the other machine has slightly less RAM - 1.0GB instead of 1.5GB - and it isn't doing this and it seems to be running Windows 7 fine.

Edited by svenskenr, 02 August 2014 - 07:38 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users