Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which Version Of Windows Defender, Please?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 02 June 2006 - 06:25 AM

When at the Microsoft site, ready to download Windows Defender (Beta 2), I realized there is two versions of it available for download.

The one at the top of the page says, "X86" - and the one down below says, "X64".

I did read through the 'frequently asked questions' on the webpage but darned if I can figure out what the difference is between the two versions.

Would someone please be kind enough to let me know? (I have a new Sony XP Media Edition computer).

Thanks so much,
Mara
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,486 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 02 June 2006 - 07:15 AM

X64 - You should only download this version if you have a 64-bit CPU and are running 64-bit Windows.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2006 - 08:01 PM

X64 - You should only download this version if you have a 64-bit CPU and are running 64-bit Windows.

Hi Quietman,

Thanks so very much for letting me know - and now I'm off to figure out whether this computer is running 64-bit CPU, etc ... suspect there may be a 'about your computer' section somewhere in my Windows Help section (love the F1 key!).

I may have simply missed it, but isn't it odd that a site like Microsoft doesn't have an easy section on the download page telling one the difference and advising how to tell what 'bit' one has on the computer.

I really appreciate your help with this, Quietman ...

Kind thoughts,
Mara
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,486 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2006 - 05:15 AM

Your welcome Mara

The 64-bit edition of Windows is much more expensive and not routinely installed on most computers the average user would purchase.

To tell which version you are using open Windows Explorer and go to Help in the top menu and select About Windows. A new window will pop up providing the information for your system. It will say "Windows XP 64-Bit Edition" if you have it. If your using XP Pro SP2 it will say:
Microsoft Windows
Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519: Service Pack 2)
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2006 - 11:52 AM

Hi Quietman,

I'm really laughing at myself now because I seem to have bought a computer that wants to keep it's 'bit' amount secret - gentle smile.

Opened Windows Explorer, clicked on Help, clicked on About Windows and when the little box arrived, it simply says "'Microsoft Windows Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp-sp2_gdr.050301-1519:Service Pack 2)".

No mention whatsoever about "Windows XP 64-bit Edition". Does this mean, by process of elimination, that since the pop up windows didn't say, "Windows XP 64-bit" that I have the alternative?

(When I was wandering around the computer last night trying to figure out the 'bit', all I'd found under the 'VAIO System Info' section was : "OS Version Microsoft Windows Professional Service Pack 2").

Oh dear, this seems like such a little thing but how embarassing I can't even figure out the amount of 'bit' within my own computer - gentle sigh.

Without your kind help, I'd be truly lost, Quietman - and I appreciate it ever so much!

Mara

#6 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2006 - 12:15 PM

Hi again Quietman,

I think I actually figured it out! Huge happy smile!

Finally returned to the Microsoft Windows webpage - and I think my previous lack of finding the proper information was due to my not having the correct 'search term' - gentle sigh.

Got lucky this time and found the proper help section which to go to Run and type in 'Winsmd.exe'. When the box opened it said: "Type is X86" - and "If the value that corresponds to System Type is X86-based PC, the computer is running a 32-bit version of the Windows operating system".

I'm sure Microsoft means well, but geesh! Odd how, when one goes to the actual download page for program it gives two choices, one for X64 and one for X86 - yet I suspect it would be easier for newbies if it just said for X64 bit or X32 bit computers and provided a link to the section I finally found this morning so one could easily figure these things out - smile.

But thanks so so much for your help, Quietman - how very kind of you to assist me, even with this 'little things' that I suspect even most newbies can figure out on their own, but which seem to 'stump me'!

With such kind thoughts,
Mara

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,486 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2006 - 02:56 PM

Your welcome and glad to hear you have this all sorted out. :thumbsup: