Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

*URGENT HELP* Smoke coming out of graphics card!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Roblox

Roblox

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 02 August 2014 - 11:56 AM

This is the thing: NVIDIA Quadro K6000 12GB

I have a highly complex cooling system to keep it cool and 16 fans in my case. It is all working.

Now how do i stop it smoking (I did not overclock it)

Im scared to turn my PC on now as i don't want to screw up the card.

Edited by hamluis, 02 August 2014 - 12:17 PM.
Moved from System Building to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Roblox

Roblox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2014 - 12:20 PM

Anyone got idea on how to fix it?

#3 PCGeek-2014

PCGeek-2014

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 02 August 2014 - 02:15 PM

You sure it's the graphics card and not the power supply?

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,457 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2014 - 04:07 PM

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if there is smoke coming out of any electronic sub-assembly it is too late to worry about stopping it smoking. You are already thinking about repair / replacement.

If this work station belongs to a company - ie not your personal property - pass it rapidly into the hands of IT. Among many other things, that is what they get paid for.

If it is your personal property, then things get harder. PCGeek has a good point. Pull the PSU and the video card and have a good sniff at both. The PSU is a sealed unit and virtually non-repairable. If it smells of smoke or burning, or shows signs of soot or smoke marking around the air out vents, it is a very safe bet that it is toast and the only practical action is replacement. However any competent electronic shop can test it further.

If the video card smells of smoke or shows signs of scorching, repair may be a possibility. I had a quick look on Google for this card and saw a price on Newegg that made my eyes water - just under £UK 4,000. c$US 5,000 ?  At this level of  money I would be on the phone to nVidia's service department seeking help. You don't say how old this card is, but if the PSU tests good you may have a warranty claim. Failing that, a claim on your insurance ?

This doesn't do anything for the inconvenience of not having this system available, and I presume you didn't buy / build it to get 'Floppy birds' to run faster. If examination does show that it was the video card that was smoking I think nVidia is your best bet. Give them a ring.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,168 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2014 - 06:30 PM

That K6000 is quite an upgrade from the HD 2350 you posted you had before :unsure:

The professional cards generally come with extensive after sales support - that's one of the reasons they cost so much.  I would suggest not turning it on and contact the manufacturers support team for help.

7sbvuf-6.png

#6 Roblox

Roblox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2014 - 03:24 AM

Nvidia said that it is out of warranty.

Now what i do? I can't afford another one of these! :unsure:   

#7 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,071 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 03 August 2014 - 06:04 AM

Was it a used card?  Your Speccy shows the other card in use this past July.  See if they will repair it for a fee.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#8 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,457 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2014 - 03:49 PM

You are, unhappily, faced with a repair / replace decision. Thirty seconds on Google suggests that a median price for this card in the UK is about £3,800. That is rather more than my current car - a Ford Mondeo - is worth and it is about seven years out of warranty. Ford will still repair it if needed - I just have to pay for it.

(1)  Remove this card from your computer and don't attempt to use it again for the time being.

(2)  As OldPhil says, contact nVidia again and say you accept it is out of warranty, how much do they want to test it and advise you of its repairability. For any reasonable figure quoted for examining it tie a label with your name and address to it and stick it in the post along with a cheque for the quoted amount. Use recorded / registered / special post (whatever your local term for insured postal items is) and insure it for the price of a new one against possible loss in transit

(3)  If they refuse to handle it at all, ask if they can suggest a recommended repairer.

(4)  Since this appears to be personal property, see if your domestic insurers will accept a claim.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users