Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Browsers not opening on desktop

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 august22

august22

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 02 August 2014 - 11:20 AM

I have an AMD 4-core processor, 8GB Ram, 500GB HDD and running win 7.

I have IE Explorer 11  and Firefox 30. My task bar is on the left side of the desk top.

Problem: when I click on the firefox icon on the desktop it moves to the task bar but

doesn't open. when I click on the icon on the task bar it flashes across the screen and

off the opposite side of the screen. If I click on the icon on the task bar again the flash

comes back across the screen to the task bar. IE 11 was doing this same thing but quit.

I have run malwarebytes, avg 2014, super antispyware and emisisoft emergency kit. they

did'nt find anything significant.

Any Help would be appreciated.

Dan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 03 August 2014 - 04:57 PM

This sounds funny, but is probably extremely annoying for you.

If you go 'Start - All programs - Firefox' does Firefox start normally ?  If it does, it suggest a problem with either the icons or your tool bar.

You could try deleting the offending icon and creating a new one to see if it behaves better. And while I know you can put your toolbar along any edge I have never had mine anywhere except on the bottom of the screen, and it is always set to 'auto-hide' in any case.

No doubt you have good artistic reasons for your toolbar being on the LH side, but it would be worth your while trying it on the bottom just to see if this behaviour continues.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 august22

august22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2014 - 05:00 AM

Tried putting the toolbar on the bottom but that's no help. When I pick the Firefox icon it flies off the screen to the

right. I deleted the icon and remade it but no help. Yes it is crazy. never seen a problem like this. Any other ideas? Cant use firefox till I get it fixed.

Dan

Edited by august22, 04 August 2014 - 05:01 AM.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,111 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2014 - 04:57 PM

You never said if 'Start - All programs - Firefox' worked or not, but what is really odd here is that you say it is only your web browser icons that do this, and that IE has settled down and is behaving itself. It would almost make more sense if all your icons were doing this.

Like you, I have never seen behaviour like this in my life. About the only thing I can think of is to do a full uninstall of Firefox and re-install it. And use something like the Revo uninstaller after you have uninstalled it to remove any remaining fragments. I f you don't have it, you can get it here :

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/revo-uninstaller/

Chris Cosgrove

#5 august22

august22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2014 - 11:29 AM

Its only the firefox icon that's doing this weird crap. All other icons are normal. I tried uninstalling it and then download and reinstall but no help.

I did a system restore to a previous date and no help but I might have not gone back far enough. I did the "Start-all files-

firefox" but same thing .This is really weird.

Help

Dan

#6 august22

august22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2014 - 12:01 PM

I downloaded the revo uninstaller and removed firefox. Downloaded and reinstall fire fox. Same peoblem.

Dan

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,111 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2014 - 06:41 PM

You still haven't answered the question "Does 'Start - All programs - Firefox' work or not ?" !

I have no ideas left on what might be causing this problem. I will see if I can get some one else to have a look at it, but it won't be until tomorrow.I'm off to bed.

Chris Cosgrove

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,636 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2014 - 05:46 PM

Hello,

When the Firefox icon is on the taskbar. Right click the icon and see if  "Pin to Taskbar" is checked. If it is, right click on an empty space on the taskbar and select "Lock Task Bar" if it is not already. Does this solve the issue? I have never seen this problem before.

#9 august22

august22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2014 - 05:55 PM

It is not pinned to the task bar.

Thanks for answering

#10 august22

august22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2014 - 05:56 PM

You still haven't answered the question "Does 'Start - All programs - Firefox' work or not ?" !

I have no ideas left on what might be causing this problem. I will see if I can get some one else to have a look at it, but it won't be until tomorrow.I'm off to bed.

Chris Cosgrove

I tried that and it didn't do any good.

Thanks for answering.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,636 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2014 - 05:57 PM

Right click the Firefox icon on the taskbar and select "Pin to Taskbar" . After that Lock the Taskbar. Does it solve the problem?

#12 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 06 August 2014 - 10:17 PM

Could try rebuilding the iconcache, this often fixes screwy problems like this.

Here's a description with a couple of ways to do it.

#13 august22

august22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2014 - 09:18 AM

Right click the Firefox icon on the taskbar and select "Pin to Taskbar" . After that Lock the Taskbar. Does it solve the problem?

Thanks but no help

#14 august22

august22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2014 - 09:26 AM

Could try rebuilding the iconcache, this often fixes screwy problems like this.

Here's a description with a couple of ways to do it.

I deleted that file and rebooted but no help.

Thanks

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,636 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2014 - 11:06 AM

Delete the firefox icon that pops around. Start firefox using the start menu. A firefox icon should appear on the taskbar. Right click it and select Pin to taskbar. Does this solve the problem?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users