Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

newbie who damange laptop...Chrome Proxy Settings screwed up

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TexasGrunt

TexasGrunt

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 02 August 2014 - 10:48 AM

I inadvertently installed malware and somehow got it cleaned up (I hope) but here is a lagging problem.  malware trovi.com was cleaned up with Adwarecleaner, malwarebytes and hitmanpro.  I was getting the Unable to connect to Proxy Server for all my browsers (IE, FireFox, and Chrome).  I managed to reset IE11 and get connected just last night.  I uninstalled Firefox and tried to reinstall but when I ran the Setup and it tried to download via IE and it would fail to download.  I went to Mozilla ftp site and downloaded manually and got it installed.  Now here is my final problem (I hope). 

Chrome will not accept the default latop of Automatically Detect Settings.  I forgot that firefox gave me same error but I fixed it via it's settings.  I've rescanned with AdWarecleaner, malwarebytes and hitmanpro with no major detections outside of HitMan saying there is a "Proxy Server on this computer (All Uses) 127.0.0.1:8800. 

I'd like to know how I can get CHROME to accept my default laptop LAN settings.  Is there a registry or other item I can tweak/change?  My reinstalled Chrome  made itself default browser and I can't change it (odd).   I'm manage with IE right now but it worries me that Chrome is acting this way.  So summary my IE/Firefox have AutoDetect option for LAN setting and Chrome still indicates Proxy Server: Use a proxy server for your LAN (these settings will not apply to dial-up or VPN connections).

PS:

I've run Avast Internet Security and it has not found anything nor has Malwarebytes premium.

Edited by hamluis, 02 August 2014 - 11:34 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to AII - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,031 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 02 August 2014 - 11:06 AM

Please run the ESET OnlineScan

• Click on this link to open ESET OnlineScan in a new window.
  • The ESET Online Scanner page will open, click on Yes, I agree to the trems of use, then click on Start, the scan will now begine.
  • For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)
    • Click on esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
    • Double click on the esetsmartinstaller_enu.png icon on your desktop.
  • Check "YES, I accept the Terms of Use."
  • Click the Start button.
  • Accept any security warnings from your browser.
  • Under scan settings, check "Scan Archives" and "Remove found threats"
  • Click Advanced settings and select the following:
    • Scan potentially unwanted applications
    • Scan for potentially unsafe applications
    • Enable Anti-Stealth technology
  • ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
  • When the scan completes, click List Threats
  • Click Export, and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
  • Click the Back button.
  • Click the Finish button.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 TexasGrunt

TexasGrunt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2014 - 03:46 PM

Well I tried the run the online installer but my IE & Firefox have problems rendering and do nothing.  Running latest FF & IE 11.  I copied the alternative installer from another laptop over a flash drive to my problem child laptop.  When I run it doesn't install because it cannot reach the internet (for updates etc.....).   Message it states is " Cannot get update.  Is proxy configured"!!!!

That is the other thing that I noticed, some apps just can't reach the internet.  I run AVAST and would think it would do that seeing it was working just fine before the malware.  One thing that I do see now is that I went into Avast Safe Browsing mode and was able to check off on it the Automatically Detect Settings.  No Chrome does show it as being checked off by I cannot remove the  Use a Proxy Server...check box :( 

Apps that can reach internet thankfully are IE, FF, Avast, Malwarebytes, Hitman.  It appears if apps try to go thru something other than IE to the internet that they fail (It seems???)

#4 TexasGrunt

TexasGrunt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2014 - 04:57 PM

Just digging futher and AVAST is allowing me to browse by it's SANDBOX option.  I added IE and FF executables to the sandbox and that's the only way I can get around the proxy setting.  I wonder if it's the one who locked down the proxy BUT that would be odd seeing it hadn't before and I hadn't changed anything. 

thoughts?

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,031 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 03 August 2014 - 11:02 AM

Please download and install Windows Repair (All in one)

To open the program click on the Start orb.

Click on All Programs.

Click on Windows Repair (All in one), this may be listed as Tweaking.com.

If you are running Windows Vista, 7, or 8 right click on Windows Repair (All in one)  and then click on Run as administrator.

Notice:  You will need to disable your antivirus in order to run this program, for this reason you should run this while off line.

Go to Step 2 and click on the Do it button to allow CheckDisk to run. 

windowsrepairstep2-1_zps08aed02b.png

Go to Step 3 and click on the Do it button to run System File Check.

windowsrepairstep3-1_zps935b7603.png

Go to Step 4 and click on the Create button under System Restore.

windowsrepairstept4-1_zpseb336401.png

Go to Start Repairs and click on the Start button.

Important: Do not make any changes to the check marks.

For those running Windows 8 please note that  Reset Registry Permissions is not checked by design.

When the page below opens click on the Start button.

windowsrepairstartrepairs-1_zpsa179850d.

Please copy and paste the Windows Repair Log in your next post.  This log (_windows_repair_log.txt) is located in the following folder:

*  64-bit systems file path - C:\Program Files (x86)\Tweaking.com\Windows Repair (All in One)\Logs

*  32-bit systems file path - C:\Program Files\Tweaking.com\Windows Repair (All in One)\Logs

Copy the file path for your version of Windows (32-bit or 64-bit), click on the Start orb and paste it in the Search all programs and files box.

Click on Logs.

Click on _Windows_Repair_Logs.

Copy and paste this log in your next post. 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users