Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 weird update

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 airplane332

airplane332

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 02 August 2014 - 10:26 AM

So yesterday i was just checking if there were any updates (av firewall windows, all) after the boot sequence log in an all that

and it was then hips gave me an alarm about this 'WuSetupv.exe' trying to modify some registry keys.At first i panicked and started searching if its something i should let it go or deny.After searching it here and there, i heard that it was a legit and necessary for windows updates and i didnt take any action.I was still suspicious at this point as somethng like this has never come up before.Then i heard ppl seeing an update on boot screen and getting suspicious because the said people didnt set it to update automatically.It was the same for me and boot update also happened after i logged off to see if it would happen.

As i was searching i came up a virus called flame, described as a cyber warfare? and was used for political things an all that in middle east.

i immediately went to check update logs and ive seen that some of the files are not signed by windows (it says NA instead of yes)

tho ive never seen a 'sign not trusted' or a 'failure' in the said logs.

and now im here, i think i can provide the logs at this point but id like to know if this is a stealth update? or im actually lost at this point

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,860 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 02 August 2014 - 12:24 PM

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_update/is-wusetupvexe-a-valid-microsoft-file-or-is-it-the/10939064-bb90-4677-9407-549bbfa6259f

Louis

#3 airplane332

airplane332
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2014 - 01:18 PM

thank you for you response and im sorry because yes ive seen that one, but im not familiar with windows update, i just search for new ones, update if its available and im done at that point, so im a little bit confused, what should i do? is a system scan required with my av mbam and such just in case?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,860 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 02 August 2014 - 02:37 PM

I would not worry about it.

Generally speaking...an infected system will show definite signs of problems...that's the point of malware, to be a nuisance, an irritant.  If your system doesn't display obvious indicators of a problem....then I see no reason to go searching for such by scrutinizing filenames and such.

The bottom line is that no filename is the key determinant whether an item is malware or not...filenames can be routinely faked or altered in such a way that the user cannot discern the change.

Louis

#5 airplane332

airplane332
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2014 - 02:51 PM

well sometimes i become too paranoid, so, sorry about that :), thank you for your time, much appreciated

#6 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 03 August 2014 - 07:00 AM

Updates to the Windows Update Agent are mandatory and will be automatically installed if Automatic Updates is turned on and is either set to automatically install updates or notify only.

Update to Microsoft Update client: https://support.microsoft.com/kb/2887535

Improvements

This update includes the following improvements:

Further hardening of infrastructure files that are used by WU/MU client
    A more secure communication channel between the WU/MU client and service

Update information

How to obtain this update
This update will be rolled out gradually. It will be automatically installed if Automatic Updates is turned on and is either set to automatically install updates or notify to install updates.

Mine installed "silently" in the background on 8/1:

win_upd.jpg

Edited by Union_Thug, 03 August 2014 - 09:03 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users