Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screen width keeps changing

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Beaker77

Beaker77

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 02 August 2014 - 07:56 AM

My screen  width keeps randomly changing slightly. it does not happen all the time, but occasionally without warning. Then it will change back to normal  after a while. I have done nothing to cause this to my knowledge. The reduction in width is about 10 mm. each side when it happens.

Please, before any suggestions of malware are made, my system is clean. I scan it regularly with a selection of AVG 2014 (a complete system scan carried out on 31 July), SuprAntiSpyware and Emsisoft Emergency Kit. All come up clean. I also use Sandboxie exclusively.

My screen resolution is set at 1024 x 768 pixels and has been for a very long time.

Any clues ? Settings, files etc.that may have developed some problem. I have no intention of ending up with a pile of disconnected parts to solve this problem or go through any extensive data download analysis. If it is not a simple adjustment hiccup, I will have to live with it for a while.

If for instance overheating may be causing this problem, then it has been very hot here for about 3 weeks, so in that case I will see what happens when the weather cools down. If it is dirt accumulation in my computer cabinet, then so long as I know, I will at my convenience have the computer insides cleaned out and the fan inspected by my local service engineers.

I use the latest updated Chrome version browser.

Edit typing error- 10 cm corrected to 10 mm - first paragraph.

Edited by Beaker77, 02 August 2014 - 02:20 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,737 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 03 August 2014 - 04:22 PM

This could be a monitor problem. What sort of monitor are you using ?  Make and model ?

If you are concerned about your on board temperatures you could do worse than install 'Speccy' which you can get from BC :-

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/speccy/

Since you use the expression 'my computer cabinet' can I assume this is a desktop ?  If it is, cleaning it out is a fairly simple operation requiring a smallish soft paintbrush and a can of compressed air (ideally - personally I use a vacuum cleaner, carefully, but majority opinion on BC is in favour of compressed air). If it is necessary to remove the heatsink and fan assembly from the CPU to clean them properly you will then need to clean the mating surfaces of old heat sink compound and replace it with a thin smear of new compound when you reassemble.

You don't need an engineer to check a fan. If it spins when powered up, it's working. And if there is no rumbling, whining or squealing coming from it when it is running, the bearings are OK. And in any case, fans are fairly cheap, readily available and generally easy to fit.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users