Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Games drop to very low fps every so often

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Diliglont

Diliglont

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 02 August 2014 - 07:56 AM

Hi all,

For some months now, whenever playing games, ( Even old ones, like warcraft 3 ), my computer goes into a 30 sec - 1 minute lag period once every few minutes. The time the lag lasts and the time between the lags decrease as the requirements of the games i'm playing increase. Diablo 2 barely causes any trouble to me.

This started spontaneously, and no hardware changes have been made. I've posted on many other forums and asked for help around in any corner i could get in, but noone could pinpoint exactly what is causing this.

I reinstalled the system, and cleaned the entire hard drive. Even with a freshly installed Windows xp, the exact same things would happen, and so it must be something hardware related. 

If anyone can tell me what exactly is causing this and what i can do to fix it i would be very happy.

Thanks in advance, and sorry for my english, as it's not my first language. 

Here are the specs:

Summary
Operating System
Windows XP Professional 32-bit SP3
CPU
Intel Pentium 4 531
Prescott 90nm Technology
RAM
2.00GB Dual-Channel DDR @ 199MHz (3-3-3-8)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK Computer Inc. P5PE-VM (Socket 775) 45 °C
Graphics
702B (1024x768@75Hz)
512MB ATI Radeon X1650 Series (Sapphire/PCPartner)
512MB ATI Radeon X1650 Series Secondary (Sapphire/PCPartner)
CrossFire Disabled
Storage
74GB Western Digital WDC WD800JB-00JJC0 (ATA) 46 °C
186GB SAMSUNG SP2004C (SATA) 37 °C
Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-H10A
Audio
SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio

Please let me know if any more info is needed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:42 AM

Dust out the computer, specifically concentrate on video cards, cpu, and fans. Check on your motherboard and video cards for blown or bulging capacitors: https://www.google.com/search?q=blown+or+bulging+capacitors+motherboard&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=O_vgU_u9G4amyASp_IC4DA&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1440&bih=766

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 Diliglont

Diliglont
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2014 - 12:21 PM

I did clean the insides several times since this began. Now i am no expert in "bulging capacitors" but i strongly believe, after checking for quite a while, that there are none. And even if i would find one what could i have done to fix it?

Any other methods to find the problem? If it's a broken part i can replace it, however the pc is fairly old and upgrades aren't really available anymore that fit the motherboard.

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2014 - 12:50 PM

It is really tough to say what would be causing this. Does the lag only happen with online based games? If so I might suspect an internet related issue, wifi cards, ethernet cards or your router could cause lag spikes. Bad blocks on hard drives could cause this as well.

Edited by zingo156, 06 August 2014 - 12:50 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 Diliglont

Diliglont
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2014 - 04:00 PM

Happens to any game i play. Including Doom 3 which is single-player, leauge of legends, warcraft 3, and so on. The more demanding the game is the worse the lag, and the shorter the time between lags.

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2014 - 04:14 PM

Let's try and get an idea of possible hardware related issues, please download and run speccy:

• Go to Piriform's website, and click the big download.png button.

• Next, click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version.

• You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

• After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

• Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):
    p22004369.gif
  • Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot
  • You will see the following prompt:
    p22004371.gif
  • Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard
    p22004372.gif
  • Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the p22004370.gif button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.
  • Congrats! You have just posted your specs!

#7 Diliglont

Diliglont
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2014 - 04:52 PM

Right now i am posting from my phone but i will return in 4 hours or so. Speccy is already installed on my pc, as i used it to get the exact specs my pc has. I will return with what you said as soon as i can.

#8 Diliglont

Diliglont
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2014 - 01:37 AM

There you have it, sorry for the delay.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/AXuT1EAAkVObuEvI18DPNQU

#9 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2014 - 07:11 AM

The hardware all looks ok. One thing to try, uninstall AVG (make sure you can reinstall first) and then try your games. I have seen this cause a few issues with games. Also close Himachi and GarenaMessenger.

The other thing I am a bit curious about is this crossfire disabled, if you have 2 cards I would try enabling that:

512MB ATI Radeon X1650 Series (Sapphire/PCPartner)
512MB ATI Radeon X1650 Series Secondary (Sapphire/PCPartner)
CrossFire Disabled

Also if you have not already done this: get the newest driver for your video cards directly from amd's website: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download

#10 Diliglont

Diliglont
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2014 - 02:45 PM

Ok so i've tried everything you said, except the crossfire thing which i ignored for the simple reason that i have no idea what it is. Now since i don't know what it is i don't really know how to activate it. Is it something standard that applies to every pc or should i look for documentation for my machine regarding this?

EDIT : I have only one graphics card, would there still be a reason to enable it?

Edited by Diliglont, 07 August 2014 - 02:49 PM.

#11 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2014 - 02:56 PM

There would be no reason to enable it with 1 video card. I am not sure why speccy is reporting 2 of the same card. When you were inspecting for blown or bulging capacitors, did you check on the video card as well?

After a fresh reload of windows, did you get all of the windows updates? If after a fresh reload with all of the updates and all of the drivers installed correctly you still get lag, I agree this seems to be hardware related. Since the lag happens in games it would seem most likely the gpu is at fault. If you suspect you may have bulging capacitors, take a picture if you can and upload it to a drop box account and post the image link here.

#12 Diliglont

Diliglont
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2014 - 03:01 PM

The pc itself is very old, but it's the best a 17 year old with no parents can afford, so i gotta fix it not replace something. I'm quite tired now so i will try everything you said tomorrow morning and come back with the reply, and the said pic if i believe something is really broken.

Also, if one if the capacitors are actually broken can i do something about it, or will i have to replace the gpu?

Also, thanks for the help man, many others just told me to "get a new pc, you cheap bastard". That simply isn't nice. Thanks again. I will reply as soon as i can with what i got.

Edited by Diliglont, 07 August 2014 - 03:01 PM.

#13 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2014 - 03:08 PM

Bad capacitors can be replaced if you happen to have soldering skills, otherwise replacement is the only option. The other possible piece of hardware that may be causing an issue is the power supply.

One last thing, lets make sure this isn't some heat related issue, download HWmonitor: http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Direct download link: http://www.cpuid.com/downloads/hwmonitor/1.25-setup.exe

Open HWmonitor and let it run while you are gaming. It will tell you the maximum temperature it sees when you are gaming. Then report all of those temperatures here. HWmonitor will also monitor voltages and report them, the important voltages are 3.3v rail, 5v rail, and 12v rail. If you can post the highest and lowest values that might help rule out a psu. if you can take a screen shot of HWmonitor and post that here, that will be the easiest way for me to check it out.

Or you can just list the temps and voltages example:

Voltages

3.30v = min 3.10v max 3.40v

5.00v = min 5.04  max 5.10

Temps

cpu min 30c max 70c avg 50c

video card min 33c max 80c avg 58c

etc.....

Edited by zingo156, 07 August 2014 - 03:13 PM.

#14 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2014 - 03:14 PM

I updated the last post a bit, you can read it again and then post the HWmonitor information or post a screen shot.

#15 Diliglont

Diliglont
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2014 - 03:17 AM

Ok i've uploaded the hwmonitor pic. Here it is. One thing that seems disturbing is the fan speed shown. But i'm no expert so i'll let you decide if that is or is not normal.

I reinstalled windows with another cd, the problem still persists. I really doubt it's something about the software. The only installed software is winamp, plus the drivers for the hardware. Warcraft 3 was the game i tried to play to see if the new windows fixed the problem. It didn't. Warcraft 3 was a directplay from a memory stick.

pic.png

Edited by Diliglont, 08 August 2014 - 03:23 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users