Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Newly installed internal hard drive doesn't show up in BIOS

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 gx240

gx240

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 02 August 2014 - 07:49 AM

I'm trying to install a Western Digital internal hard drive (WD2002FAEX) and connect it to my ASUS P8Z77-V LX motherboard, but it won't show up in the BIOS. The BIOS lists the connector as "empty." The hard drive works; I just tested it in a different computer minutes before attempting the installation. The system boots off an Intel SSD, and that's the only other drive installed. The SATA cable and the power cable are both connected. I have the SATA cable attached to the motherboard connector labeled SATA6G_2. (page 2-2 in the motherboard manual) The SSD drive is connected to the connector labeled SATA6G_1.

Do I have the SATA cable attached to the correct connector? Do I need to mess around with jumpers or anything else on the drive or the motherboard? Am I missing something else obvious?

Edited by gx240, 02 August 2014 - 07:52 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 04 August 2014 - 01:35 PM

Specs

The hard drive should be connected to one of the grey ports...but connecting it to any other port should not prevent it from being reflected.

The two connectors are PSU and motherboard...I would try to eliminate them from suspicion now that you know it's not the drive itself.

Louis

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,976 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 04 August 2014 - 02:06 PM

Look on the back of the drive and make sure the jumper is not set for 3GB/s on pins 5 & 6

ssc_desktop.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users