Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Explorer.exe continues to crash

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bforber

bforber

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 02 August 2014 - 01:39 AM

Okay, I'll try and explain this as best as I can.

But first- specs:

Operating System
    Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit SP2
CPU
    Intel Pentium E2220 @ 2.40GHz    34 °C
    Conroe 65nm Technology
RAM
    4.00GB Single-Channel DDR2 @ 400MHz (5-4-4-17)
Motherboard
    Acer Aspire X1700 (CPU 1)    29 °C
Graphics
    HP vs19 (1280x1024@60Hz)
    512MB NVIDIA GeForce G100 (Sapphire/PCPartner)    48 °C
Storage
    596GB Western Digital WDC WD64 00AAKS-22A7B SCSI Disk Device (SATA)    50 °C
Optical Drives
    ATAPI DVD A DH16A6S SCSI CdRom Device
Audio
    High Definition Audio Device

Whenever I have either two explorer windows, (i.e. like pictures and videos, documents and music etc.) or have simply my desktop showing on my monitor, (windows minimized or just nothing open,) explorer.exe just cascades and just starts a cycling process of:

Windows Explorer has stopped working. Checking for a solution to your problem. *pause*

Restarting windows explorer. Task bar disappears for a moment, then comes back.

I can't get it to stop. The only way I can even use the computer is to make sure something is open and maximized and just leave it in the background.

I've tried to following:

Ran chkdsc. It told me I had corrupted files unable to be fixed in the CBS log, (I don't know how to read those.)

System restore isn't an option, all of my restore points were deleted when I updated to service pack 2 in the middle of this nonsense.

Disabled all non-microsoft services in msconfig.

Scanned with Malwarebytes and quarantined all malware, (its all advertising junk.)

Hopefully... that covers everything.  I'd really like to maybe try and fix this without having to wipe everything, of course.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by bforber, 02 August 2014 - 01:46 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 02 August 2014 - 05:55 AM

Hmmm,,,  are you using Aero Flip 3D?

#3 bforber

bforber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2014 - 07:58 AM

Hmmm,,,  are you using Aero Flip 3D?

No, never heard of it.

#4 bforber

bforber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2014 - 08:02 AM

Huh.

I had copied over a .mkv file from a disc someone let me borrow. Apparently the presence of the icon for it on my desktop was causing the whole thing because I just searched for it from the start menu, deleted it, and... everything is fine.

Ha.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users