Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Failed hard drive - trying to recover data

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Scionfall

Scionfall

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 02 August 2014 - 01:04 AM

Hi everyone, 

New here and it was suggested from a site I was following to repair this external hard drive  by posting here. A friend sent me her external hard drive (Samsung ST500LM012 - ironically this was branded on the drive enclosure as a Seagate product) to try and recover the data. At this point I've done everything I can do and am clutching at straws in hopes there is more I can try and do to recover it. 

Ultimately the problem was that the arm within the hard drive was stuck on the platter. As the hard drive wasn't even being recognized by the BIOS much less anything else I reluctantly decided to take it apart and manually park the arm myself. Afterwards, the drive was able to be seen by windows and for a few minutes I was actually able to see the folder and files on the drive! Unfortunately, it didn't take long for my luck to run out and further attempts at getting into the drive failed. Currently, Windows recognizes the drive but it says it's in a RAW file format and needs to be reformatted (which I did not do :P ). Looking online for a solution I came across a website on how to fix it. The site recommended booting into PartedMagic and running testdisk. The results are a "Read error" whether I do a quick search or deeper search for every cylinder it checks the read errors climb in lockstep with it. At this point I'm thinking the situation is pretty bleak but I'm holding out hope that there might be something more to try. 

Any advice or suggestions are welcome. Thanks for any help you can provide. 

Scionfall

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2014 - 06:09 AM

If the drive has physically failed then there is not much (inexpensive) hope. What you will need now is a data recovery service that has a 'clean room' (too late for that, but OH WELL!) that can be used to recover data off of the individual platters... VERY expensive.

There is an inexpensive hope that you can try though... the freeze trick... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3iBSqVe1Jg .

Edited by ElfBane, 02 August 2014 - 08:13 AM.

#3 PCGeek-2014

PCGeek-2014

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 03 August 2014 - 04:26 AM

I've recently just had this problem.

Download and install EaseUS Data Recovery and let it do a deep scan on all files.  You will then be able to see if finds many of your files and data, and if it does, I recommend you to pay for the license. I paid for it and I'm pleased with what I recovered. It wasn't 100% of the data, because I had damaged partitions, but it was at least 70%.

#4 Scionfall

Scionfall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2014 - 03:12 PM

Good idea PCGeek! I'll give that a shot in the next few days and let you know how it worked out. Thanks as well for the advice Elfbane. I'm hoping I don't have to go with the freezer method. That'll be an absolute last resort. 

#5 Frozwire

Frozwire

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 04 August 2014 - 11:33 PM

Good idea PCGeek! I'll give that a shot in the next few days and let you know how it worked out. Thanks as well for the advice Elfbane. I'm hoping I don't have to go with the freezer method. That'll be an absolute last resort. 

I'm afraid that would only make the problem more even worst. As the drive already has a mechanical failure a recovery software is not already the best option you could get and could possibly just do more damage to the drives media. Thus, you're just making the data recovery more expensive if you do more damage to the drive. As Elfbane has suggested, the data on that drive are irreplaceable you'd better consult or send it to a professional data recovery service facility.

"Encryption...is a powerful defensive weapon for free people. It offers a technical guarantee of privacy, regardless of who is running the government... It's hard to think of a more powerful, less dangerous tool for liberty...” - Esther Dyson

#6 PCGeek-2014

PCGeek-2014

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 05 August 2014 - 01:13 AM

I'm afraid that would only make the problem more even worst. As the drive already has a mechanical failure a recovery software is not already the best option you could get and could possibly just do more damage to the drives media. Thus, you're just making the data recovery more expensive if you do more damage to the drive. As Elfbane has suggested, the data on that drive are irreplaceable you'd better consult or send it to a professional data recovery service facility.

Ive literally just had the same problem lol?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users