Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Not sure what's going on.

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 RiddikDMC

RiddikDMC

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 01 August 2014 - 11:34 PM

I recently built my first custom gaming desktop and I put Windows 7 on it with no problems. I had ordered an SSD for the build as well, but due to a small misunderstanding, I didn't install it until the next day. The data migration and installation went fine, except it didn't delete the OS data off the HDD like it said it would. I made sure that the computer was set to boot off the SSD before doing anything else and that all the files were copied over safely. The problem I'm running into is trying to clear off the Windows 7 OS files from the HDD. It won't let me format the drive and it won't delete anything (just says "discovering items" or somthing). Also, I can't double click desktop links, it gives me an error message saying " The remote procedure call failed and did not execute. " I researced this message and found a solution, only to dicover another problem. I can't run certain programs. I've tried to luanch the  Services application from the start menu and I've tried to install computer scanning software from Microsoft to the same effect: the screen dimms and makes that low pitched beep like when it's asking permission to run a program, but nothing pops up on screen and it goes away after a couple of minutes. And lastly, sometimes I can't click on anything in the start menu. I'm sure what triggers it, but every so often when I hit/click the Windows key on the keyboard/desktop it'll open, but I can't highlight anything and whenever I click inside the start menu's area it makes that error ding at me. So yea, pretty frustrating. Any help you guys can give would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know if it'll help, but here is the part list for the build:

PSU - Corsair CX500 ATX/EPS 80 Plus

Optical - Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS

Processor - AMD FX-8320 8-Core Black Edition

SSD- Samsung 840 EVO 120GB SATA 3

HDD - WB Blue 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6 Gb/s 64MB cache

Graphics - Asus Corporate Stable Model 2GB GT610-2GD3-CSM

RAM - Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz PC3 12800

Motherboard - MSI 760GMA-P34

OS - Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit System Builder OEM DVD

Case - Rosewill Ranger-M Micro-ATX Tower

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 02 August 2014 - 12:34 AM

Can you migrate your data to your SSD and destructively re-format your 2nd drive? (enough space?)

Might be a good solution in this case... you can put your data back afterwards.

Edited by TsVk!, 02 August 2014 - 12:34 AM.

#3 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2014 - 12:38 AM

PartedMagic will reformat your drive, without asking Windows... Just make sure all data is on the other drive.

Boot from the CD and clean it up :thumbup2:

Make sure you reformat to NTFS.

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2014 - 12:41 AM

Also... I assume you have always let the installers install to C:\Program Files... if you have custom installed to your data drive the programs will not work, unless you re-create the folder structure and put the data back manually.

edit: this may just completely blow your OS up too... considering this problem could persist for years you might consider reinstalling the OS. It is a very rare circumstance I say those words. After reading your post again and again... well, that's what I would do.

Edited by TsVk!, 02 August 2014 - 12:52 AM.

#5 RiddikDMC

RiddikDMC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2014 - 11:24 AM

I don't mind starting over, theres nothing but updates and drivers on it anyway, but if I do go to reinstall Windows on the SSD will that clear whats left off the HDD? How do I get rid of that data?

Edited by RiddikDMC, 02 August 2014 - 02:23 PM.

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2014 - 07:12 PM

No it won't clear the HDD data just by re-installing the OS.

I would use a live disk like PartedMagic to delete the current partitions (all the data on the HDD) and the re-format the whole thing to NTFS.

Boot into "live with default setting"on the boot menu, and then just use the partition editor on the desktop... It is quite easy to figure out.

#7 RiddikDMC

RiddikDMC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2014 - 11:56 PM

this may just completely blow your OS up

I'm not sure what you meant by this, but Windows is definetly F.U.B.A.R. right now. For some reason, I can no longer boot from the SSD, it's like it can't even see win7 on it. The HDD only has a few win7 files on it, but I can get to windows recovery options when I try to boot from it, but nothing works, it just keeps giving me some kind of failure message then tells me to contact somebody about it. So unless you guys know how to fix this I'm thinking I'm just gonna have em replaced and start over. They are still under warranty after all. With that in mind, how do I keep this from happening again? Should I install Windows on the SSD first then put the HDD once I've confirmed it's functional?

#8 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2014 - 01:42 AM

Yeah, I suspected that would happen... your Win files got scrambled between the 2 drives.

Use PartedMagic and erase the HDD partitions, reformat the whole disk to a single NTFS partition.  Delete all of the partitions on the SSD, no need to re-format.

Disconnect the HDD and then install Windows.

Install Windows on the SSD. It will format for you and install Windows. Add the HDD back after you have completed the initial updates...

This is really drastic, but I think it is the only course for you right now.

#9 RiddikDMC

RiddikDMC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2014 - 06:05 AM

Can it run from a disc? Cuz as it is now, I can't get to the desktop. This thing simply refuses to boot.

#10 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2014 - 06:18 AM

Yeah, PartedMagic is a live boot disk... Just burn it and have a go. You will soon see how easy it is.

#11 RiddikDMC

RiddikDMC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2014 - 08:43 PM

Ok, the drives are clean and Windows 7 has been successfully installed on just the SSD this time. Something I noticed just now though,  last time after I clone the HDD to the SSD I made sure to put the SSD in the first SATA channel on the mother board ( that matters, right?), but for some reason the HDD remained as Local Disk C while the SSD came up as drive D. Is there any significance to this?

#12 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2014 - 09:05 PM

Generally the first one or two sata slots sata slots are sata.V3, which is twice as fast as the older V2.... so it is always a good idea to attach your boot drive there. You are right.

Yeah, your Windows installation not being on your C:\ drive can lead to major problems, that recur again and again... It is a good thing that your reinstalled your OS to you SSD. (which is now your C:\ drive I assume).

Are you all happy now? Any other questions?

#13 RiddikDMC

RiddikDMC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2014 - 09:36 PM

Super, you have been a great help. Just one last question: does it matter which position on the SATA power cord they are? Cuz the power cord has 3 ends on it. Counting from the end leading back to the power supply, I have the optical drive then HDD then SSD. If it doesn't matter, then we're good. If it does, the I need to rearrange the order in the tower before I turn it back on.

#14 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2014 - 09:45 PM

It's all fine mate, the power balances over those cables without any configuration. The old PATA data cable days are now behind us... (well most of us anyway, lol)

TsVk!

:busy:

#15 RiddikDMC

RiddikDMC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2014 - 10:15 PM

Alright, cool. Thanks again for all your help. You saved me from a lot of frustration with the trouble-shooting on this. I probably would've ended up having Amazon replace both drives if not for your insight. Gold Star sir.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users