Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random crashes, help diagnosing problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 aajen

aajen

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 01 August 2014 - 11:16 PM

Hello all,

First time poster, longtime PC enthusiast. 

First off PC specs: 8800 GT x 2  BFG in SLI, Asus A7N8X-D, 6GB RAM (2x 1GB Crucial, 2x 2GB G.Skill), Intel e6750, 500gb HDD, 520 Watt Corsair PS, Windows 7 64 Ultimate.

Problem: Hard crashes, most often during 3D applications, but not always. Requires manual restart.

What I've tried so far:

1. At first I thought the problem was software so I did the standard fresh install of windows. No luck, crashes almost immediately in almost any 3D application.

2. Tried rolling back video drivers. Issue persists.

3. Next I thought SLI was the problem. First I tried to disable it, then took out one of the cards and tried, then tried the other card. No luck, issue persists.

4. Maybe heat was the problem. Did a full, deep cleaning. Replaced thermal paste. Issue persists.

What's the next most likely culprit? Any advice? Maybe something with Directx? I don't know....

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Man_1n_Black

Man_1n_Black

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 01 August 2014 - 11:30 PM

You have tried hard so its a shame you havent had any luck yet, anyway have a look in "Event Viewer" under "Windows Logs" check the sections for 'applications' and 'system' and see if there is any errors that point to say a video driver timeout or anything that looks suspicious like that . . .

Regards,
Phil
Linux user     |     #564977

#3 aajen

aajen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2014 - 11:50 PM

It's driving me craaaaaaaazy. No error at the time of crash in event viewer, in fact, the only error (which does not match up to crash times) is this one for WMI:

"Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected."

I don't know if that has anything to do with it; I'm just an enthusiast, not a pro. 

I cannot seem to see a pattern in the crashing, except for that it only happens in 3D applications. In one program it crashes when you load a game, in another, it seems completely random, and in another it crashes when I click pull down menus. 

The RAM is fairly new, I suppose I'll try to swap them and see if it happens. I did notice that the restart button (the physical button) does work, I don't have to hold down the power button for 5 seconds, if that is relevant. I'm starting to think motherboard or power supply at this point.

P.S. Thanks for acknowledging my effort, a ray of sunshine in an otherwise cloudy day of trying to fix this.

#4 Man_1n_Black

Man_1n_Black

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2014 - 12:10 AM

Sadly WMI errors are rarely anything to get excited about, maybe run memtest for about 5 or 6 rounds and see if it shows any errors, believe me random crashes can be among the hardest problems to solve mainly because they are random and therefore dont give the usual clues to solve the problem at hand.

Regards,
Phil

#5 aajen

aajen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2014 - 01:57 AM

No errors on memtest.

I've noticed it generally takes maybe a minute longer for a crash with only one video card physically installed. This makes me think heat is the issue even, though it has never really been an issues before.

Does anyone know of a temperature monitor that has the ability to log up until the moment of the crash? I have Open Hardware Monitor up, but I don't think it can log like that.

#6 Man_1n_Black

Man_1n_Black

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2014 - 02:24 AM

You could try

everest

http://download.cnet.com/Everest-Ultimate-Edition/3000-2086_4-10499291.html

it seems pretty comprehensive although ive never used it myself . . .

Regards,
Phil

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users