Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Will switching hardrives from 1 lapop model to another slow down the laptop?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Sploog321

Sploog321

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 01 August 2014 - 05:24 PM

I've done it and my laptop seem to be slower. (My harddrive was broken.)

Anyway I can speed it up or maybe I'm overreacting? (The CPU seems to go pretty high,)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,301 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 AM

Posted 01 August 2014 - 06:34 PM

It's possible. There are two standard speeds for hard drives - 5,400 and 7,200 rpm. If the one you swapped in has the slower specification this will slow down reads and writes a bit.

Are you sure you have got all the necessary drivers for the laptop you put this hard drive in ?  If for example, if it is using a generic Windows driver for some function instead of the makers own driver this is likely to slow down operation as well.

If you provide the make and model of this laptop, plus the make and model of the hard drive you put into it, a better opinion could be offered.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Sploog321

Sploog321
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2014 - 09:16 PM

Hmm... Well the harddrive im using was from a hp g56 notebook pc. I'm unsure how to find out the hardrive model.

I transferred its hardrive into my hp dm3-1130us.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,301 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2014 - 05:37 AM

According to HP's specs for these two computers, your G56 hard drive is a 250Gb 5,400 rpm model and the one you took out, from the DM3, was a 320Gb 7,400 rpm model, so it will be a bit slower.

On top of that, while processor specs are not a total guide to performance, the processor in the DM3 has a lower rated performance than the one in the G56 so that could explain some of the loss of performance.

One other thing that jumps out - these two computers use entirely different video systems. The DM3 uses an ATI mobility Radeon card while the G56 uses an Intel one. You did install the ATI drivers on the hard drive you put into the DM3 ? 

The operating systems for both these computers may be Win 7, but the system drivers are quite different and you need the DM3 drivers to make it work properly. Starting with the chip-set drivers and going on to audio, video, LAN, WLAN etc. If in any doubt, you can get the drivers for this laptop from HP here :-

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?cc=us&lc=en&product=4121109

Chris Cosgrove

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,049 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2014 - 06:11 AM

Even with the same manufacture the MB's will have differences, did you do a clean install of the OS after the swap?  If not I would not expect it to run properly.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#6 Sploog321

Sploog321
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2014 - 08:56 AM

According to HP's specs for these two computers, your G56 hard drive is a 250Gb 5,400 rpm model and the one you took out, from the DM3, was a 320Gb 7,400 rpm model, so it will be a bit slower.

On top of that, while processor specs are not a total guide to performance, the processor in the DM3 has a lower rated performance than the one in the G56 so that could explain some of the loss of performance.

One other thing that jumps out - these two computers use entirely different video systems. The DM3 uses an ATI mobility Radeon card while the G56 uses an Intel one. You did install the ATI drivers on the hard drive you put into the DM3 ? 

The operating systems for both these computers may be Win 7, but the system drivers are quite different and you need the DM3 drivers to make it work properly. Starting with the chip-set drivers and going on to audio, video, LAN, WLAN etc. If in any doubt, you can get the drivers for this laptop from HP here :-

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?cc=us&lc=en&product=4121109

Chris Cosgrove

Well some drivers automatically installed in a window when I switched the harddrive, but I will try that.

Even with the same manufacture the MB's will have differences, did you do a clean install of the OS after the swap?  If not I would not expect it to run properly.

No I just swapped hardrives. Would performing a factory reset be the same as a clean install or accomplish anything?

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,301 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2014 - 09:16 AM

Short answer to your last question - No !

If there is a recovery partition on the hard drive that came out of the G56 it will be for a G56 computer and will not contain the hardware drivers for the equipment built into your DM3.

You need to download the drivers for the DM3 from HP - save them to a memory stick - at the link I gave you above and then install them. Old Phil is right in that the ideal would then be to do a clean install of Windows plus everything else you want on that computer but you might be lucky and get away with just installing the drivers.

I would be inclined to try it - if only because, if it works, it will save you an awful lot of time. If it doesn't work, then a clean install is the way to go and you will already have downloaded and saved all the drivers you will need.

Chris Cosgrove

#8 Sploog321

Sploog321
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2014 - 10:56 PM

Updatign those drivers seems to have worked thanks guys :)

#9 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,049 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2014 - 05:43 AM

Enjoy!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#10 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove