Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Disk Drive Possibly Failing

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 AlphaDog

AlphaDog

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 01 August 2014 - 04:00 PM

Hello everybody,

I am new here, so hopefully this is the correct spot for this issue. 

I have a Lenovo IdeaPad P400 Touch, and I think my hard disk drive may be failing. I have had some crashes, trouble updating, and freezing. I downloaded SeaTools, and the test results have been strange. 

The drive always fails the short genetic test, and sometimes (but not always) fails the short DST and the SMART test, all with error code 6C9AC2A4. I looked, and apparently this code means that the diagnostic could not identify the serial number. 

However, I don't know if this issue is serious, or if it is simply minor. Does anyone have an idea what this means, or any other way I could check the health of the hard drive?

Thanks. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 01 August 2014 - 06:55 PM

First of all - welcome to BC !

This is as good a place as any for your problem.

But - you have doubts about the health of your hard drive. Before you do anything else - BACK UP YOUR DATA !  By that I mean your own work, photos, music, anything you have created or collected including those things that we all tend to forget like contact lists and browser bookmarks. Once you have this backed up, a dead or dying HDD becomes a problem and not a crisis. And back it up before you carry out any more tests. These tests can stress a failing hard drive to the point where it dies.

To see the SMART data, you could try running 'Speccy' from Piriform, it's a free download and you can get it from www.piriform.com

Once you have backed up your data it might be worth your while doing a factory restore if your computer has a recovery partition, but on the evidence you offer, your hard drive is failing. If you decide to replace it you will need to acquire all the drivers for your computer model.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users