Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SBS 2003 - new user exists - but can't login from XP station

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 gavinpitchford

gavinpitchford

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 01 August 2014 - 12:20 PM

Today's Problem:   we have created a user as per all the usual steps on an SBS 2003 r2 server, which has been managed with every available update.

History:

After a series of issues and updates, our users on XP workstations could login to the server - but not access email on exchange. (running Ms Exchange 2003 sp 2)

In frustration we ensured we protected all their email history and all files were secure, and then removed the users and their computers - and then attempted to set them up fresh - exactly as per usual routine.

Even though we have created new users - and tried with and without creating a computer for them, when we attempt to login to the domain at their respective  XP workstation, the system responds with message to the effect that the user is not recognized, the domain contoller is down, or we have used the wrong password.

We have proven there is connectivity to the server - when we select "force user to change password", and they then attempt to login. they are asked to change their password.   They do change it - and then are still rejected with the new password/

We have tried to login directly to the local administrator account, but the workstation may have had a password assigned to that account at some point - and we cannot access anything other than the login panel. 

Rebooted everything multiple times - no luck,

Suggestions (other than applying a hammer to the side of my head) would be most welcome.

More DETAILS:

We have an Dell Poweredge SBS 2003 server that was subjected to repeated hard crashes when a flood closed our building and power was restored intermitently. 

One of the RAID drives eventually failed and as best we could  determine the entries in IIS log were corrupted as the IIS would not start afterwards.

Long story short: we applied all the patches, went trhough a series of machinations and eventually were able to get IIS running again.

Still couldn't get a variety of other services running, but eventually - after installing downloading and installing Ms Exchange Server 2003 r 2 going, we finally have all services running on the server.

Hallelujah.  

Then attempted to have users log back in and use outlook.  Rebooted etc - servers and workstations - still no ability to send or receive new messages via outlook  (we've been using webmail for a couple of weeks while messing with this) .

After backing up my own outlook files, I erased myself as a user and was then able to rejoin the network from my windows 7 computer and resume using outlook via exchange on the sever.  

When we tried the same thing for other users, we encountered the problem described above.

WE have erased and recreated the same user multiple times - with and without a computer - with admin rights etc. We have added the computer - deleted the computer.     NEt we cannot log on to the server from this device - I have tried as the user, as the administrator and as myself.

In each instance the same message pops.

Note - we get a different message if we attempt to log in a non-existent user.

And when we insist on a password change, we are asked to provide a new password - so SOMETHING is connecting.

Any suggestions would be most welcome and gratefully received. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,164 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 02 August 2014 - 05:49 PM

Can you ping the server by it's IP address from the XP machine? Can you ping it by the server name? Try running the Domain Controller diagnostic tool: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc776854%28WS.10%29.aspx just to ensure there are no connectivity issues.

You may also want to try going through these steps to ensure the computer can connect to the domain: http://www.petri.com/fixing-windows-cannot-connect-to-the-domain-errors.htm

#3 GlenSpank

GlenSpank

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 10 August 2014 - 10:01 PM

This sounds a lot like DNS issues, and possibly WINS.

Is DHCP, DNS, and Wins hosted on the SBS machine? One thing that might help, is make everything DNS Search suffix as the DNS for the SBS machine, IE companyname.local. and make the SBS machine the first DNS Server in the DHCP lease.

Maybe the DNS service is stopped/failed on the SBS machine...?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users