Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

xp infected malware

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Charlotte82

Charlotte82

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 01 August 2014 - 11:15 AM

Thank you very much if anyone can help.

Running Windows XP Home Edition on emachines notebook NV51 (no recovery disk or DVD drive).

As far as I was aware, the the only anti-virus I had was Zonealarm but now I'm not sure. If I look as System processes running, I see quite a large few avg files so maybe I have avg, too.

Windows Updates started asking for persistent installation and on boot I had to wait for updates to be installed. Gradually lost XP log in functionality over several days - machine slowed progrssively to a standstill, wheezed and got very hot - ended up not being able to log in at all as user, yet could run everything fine in Safe Mode. Received Windows pop up messages that various new hardware installations were being recognised when I was not installing any.

(Hope this makes sense.)

So a couple of days ago I installed and ran ADWcleaner and FSRT

I managed to log in yesterday...... but while the desktop looked normal the eggtimer hung for ages and nothing happened when I clicked any icon.

I read this page, which advised me to run MB and Combofix.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/248626-45-simple-free-guide-removing-malware

(No mention of running it under supervision - sorry.)

MB said it had fixed 1 error.

Combofix initially could not find a restore point but then did its stuff until it hung at line 48. I left it over night and it is is now frozen at a "Deleting Files screen":

C:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\Local Settings\Temp\googletoolbarinstaller_full_signed_6.2.910.1554.exe

C:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\Local Settings\Temp\ky_setup_1.2.4229.140.exe

I don't want to turn Combofix off or reboot as I've since read on your site that this prog needs to be run under supervision. I'm sorry if my ignorance has made life more difficult for you guys but would really appreciate some support.

Charlotte

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 01 August 2014 - 08:02 PM

Welcome aboard p22002758.gif

Since you ran Combofix which is not allowed in this forum...

Please follow the instructions in THIS GUIDE starting at Step 6. If you cannot complete a step, skip it and continue.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it HERE. Please include a description of your computer issues, what you have done to resolve them, and a link to this topic.

If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the new topic and explain what happens when you try to create the log(s) that you couldn't get. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then still post the topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happens when you try to create the logs.

It would be helpful if you post a note here once you have completed the steps in the guide and have started your topic in malware removal. Good luck and be patient.

If HelpBot replies to your topic, PLEASE follow Step One so it will report your topic to the team members.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 Charlotte82

Charlotte82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 02 August 2014 - 06:47 AM

Sorry, Broni - please hang on in there as I have just maanged to Restore my notebook to a previous point BEFORE I ran Combofix.

Does this make a difference?

Should I follow the steps in your Guide from no 1?

Thanks

Charlotte

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 02 August 2014 - 12:37 PM

Go ahead with my previous reply.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users