Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Kingston 16GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive - slow to mount

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Scoop8

Scoop8

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 01 August 2014 - 10:57 AM

I recently bought a Kingston 16GB Flash Drive   which is working ok as far as data access and copying speeds but it's slow to mount (be recognized in "My Computer" or DIsk Management).

I'm running Win 7x64 Home Premium on 2 PC's, a built Desktop and a Toshiba Laptop.

The symptoms are the same on both PC's:

When I plug in the (FAT32) Kingston Flash Stick, there's about a 30-45 second delay before the stick is recognized by Windows.

When I look at my connected USB devices in Usbdeview  , the stick is sensed as installed within 1-2 seconds (listed in UsbDeview).

The only thing that I see in UsbDeview, is that the Kingston stick power rating is listed at 200mA , vs 500mA with my other USB devices (KVM Switch, Seagete GoFlex portable HDD, and my other Flash stick).

My other 16 Gb FAT32 USB 2.0 Flash Stick is a "Microcenter" store-specific brand.  This stick always mounts in 2-3 seconds after its plugged into the port.

I've tried the Kingston stick on several different USB ports on the Desktop and Laptop and the results are the same.

Does this indicate a defective Flash Stick or is the slow mounting due to the lower power usage/rating of the Kingston Stick as compared to my other stick and other USB devices?

Or is this a characteristic of Kingston Flash Sticks in general?  This is the 1st one that I've bought.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 01 August 2014 - 11:17 AM

If you can, take it back to the store and get a new one. I have never heard of a flash drive taking that long to mount.

#3 Scoop8

Scoop8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 01 August 2014 - 07:18 PM

↑ Thanks, that was my first guess as well, defective. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users