Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop repeatedly restarts before booting

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Izzye

Izzye

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 01 August 2014 - 09:56 AM

I have a 6(ish) year old Toshiba Satellite Pro L300, original spec apart from several new HDDs, replacement RAM to bring it up to 2GiB rather than 1 and a broken motherboard connector which stops my DVD drive from working. It's running Linux Peppermint. About March this year it started taking 3 or 4 attempts to boot, getting slightly further on each restart (which the computer did itself, I didn't touch it). I replaced the HDD which had 300,000+ bad sectors, changed OS from Ubuntu to Peppermint and ran a MemTest which came back clear. I don't think it's the CMOS battery as someone suggested as the clock is always correct and if I unplug and plug back in within a few minutes it will usually start normally. Now it's taking upwards of half an hour to boot, restarting over and over again until it gets to the boot select screen and then will sometimes restart several times once it's fully booted and I've started using it. Anyone have any idea what's happening? It's getting pretty irritating now.

EDIT: It's also started freezing regularly and presenting me with screens like this; 2ypenm0.jpg

Edited by Izzye, 01 August 2014 - 11:05 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users