Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ssd card Card ssd thingy...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 freelyone

freelyone

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 01 August 2014 - 04:40 AM

SSD Upgrade Kit for Apple Mac Pro - OS X Bootable, SATA III, PCI Express 2.0

Found at..
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/130696186620?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Essentially this is a card that puts 1 or 2 ssd's on as it connects to the pcie socket, so using it I presume better than a sata cable!?! I guess that it becomes similar to a revo ssd card, reading about some aspect I was unable to get information on using it between os systems like win. and is it better than an ssd singular?.

Can you help with compatibility?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 01 August 2014 - 09:20 AM

If you currently have sata II it would be better, the name says it all, it is a pci-e 2.0 to sata iii adapter which means the sata iii limit still applies. The question now is what mac pro do you own? Does it currently only have sata ii connections? If it does, this adapter should be faster. If you already have sata iii ports then there is no need to get this device if you intend to use a sata ssd, unless you are out of open sata ports, then this would be useful to add another.

Edited by zingo156, 01 August 2014 - 09:24 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 freelyone

freelyone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2014 - 11:11 PM

Yep, my windows would like to use it. I read in a forum that sneaked a point that some complications to do with something else on different systems was evident, but the forum wouldn't elude to using this card on windows, hence my question.
Is there one for windows or I should be more elaborate, I just bought a Samsung evo pro ssd and require another 'ssd type product' to use instead of it, or similar product, in a motherboard configuration. This card drew my attention in a probability to squeeze some more performance out of an already good product, or it really is based on Ocz revodrive internal ssd's usage only!?. Great no matter what the result especially for older mobos.

I've bought the pro for my laptop and amazingly found this product straight afterward. The specs would be a help but yet again is it suitable with equipment that is already good?.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/290875283950?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

So to round up would I consider these options or stick to ye olde straight fit, plug and play normally fitting products with good specs.

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2014 - 09:06 AM

Those dvd hard drive caddys work but the speed limit will be the sata connection on the computer. Most older laptops have sata II ports which means a samsung drive wouldn't run at full speed. However even with sata II and a samsung evo, there would be a significant speed increase due to the latency times of ssd's vs hdd's. I have an older intel x-25e in my mac which only has sata II ports and it is very noticably faster. It boots in less than 10 seconds and shuts down in less than 1 second. All programs open faster and my read and write speeds are still faster than an older spindle hard drive.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 freelyone

freelyone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2014 - 07:06 PM

Yep, the lappy will be happy, an old storage ssd will go in the 'sata3 capable' caddy, but my antek gaming tower needs a type of ssd...revo or ssd card thingy. EBay (those bid rigging bleeps) can only hold on for one more day and it would really help if some specs for either one would convince me to choose the option. Theoretically from what you've said the ssd just picks up the slack but if competitively between the two I can't discern where it would bottleneck or slow the equipment down.

I know revo will be good and yet with minimal effect will an ssd slot differ..so????

While were on it (and admittedly is the first time with an ssd for me) will written information 'evaporate' with no power to the drive over an extended time?. Im not sure where I heard that one but I've never had it answered.

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2014 - 07:33 PM

Information will not disappear from the ssd, ssd's are the same as a flash drive. It is considered non-volitile memory. The ssd will not pick up any slack. Your bottle neck will likely be your sata bus if both of your computers are older. Most older computers had sata II ports which are not all that fast considering modern ssd's.

Sata III ports are not a bottle neck for most modern ssd's. No matter what you have hardware wise, an ssd will be faster than a spindle drive.

#7 freelyone

freelyone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2014 - 05:57 AM

Wwwhheeeewwww.............safe.

So what are you saying, especially about the 'card thingy' which finished being sold a while ago,(that I've missed) is an indifference of connections with potential.
Essentially my mobo is 2011 new (miniatx)but no sata3 yet...waiting for ddr4.

No joy all over.
Thankyou.

#8 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2014 - 07:09 AM

If you have no sata3, but have pci-e, then the add in card should be faster.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users