Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Downgraded to Windows 7 - Driver Problems.

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 EMarq89

EMarq89

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 01 August 2014 - 01:06 AM

Hey Everyone,

I recently downgraded an HP Pavilion Notebook 17-e116dx from Windows 8.1 to Windows 7 Professional. I'm now having two problems. One is that the two USB ports on the left side of the laptop no longer read anything. I saw that there were no drivers for them & had since install the Windows 8.1 drivers for this laptop with no luck. I thought maybe because this laptop doesn't have drivers designed for anything other than Windows 8.1, some of the drivers won't work on Windows 7? Which brings me to the Ethernet Controller driver. That says it's installed, but it says the driver is corrupt. I connected an ethernet cable to my router & there was no connection. Please help, I'd greatly appreciate it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,538 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 01 August 2014 - 01:25 AM

Have you tried The Hp site? No luck?   Stay away from 3rd party software that offers to install these drivers. I notice there are a few. If its not official HP stay away from it.

Edited by NickAu1, 01 August 2014 - 01:32 AM.

#3 johnebadbak

johnebadbak

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 01 August 2014 - 01:28 AM

no win7 drivers for this model

may have to search manufacturer names etc..

#4 EMarq89

EMarq89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2014 - 01:43 AM

Have you tried The Hp site? No luck?   Stay away from 3rd party software that offers to install these drivers. I notice there are a few. If its not official HP stay away from it.

I did & unfortunately, they only had Windows 8.1 drivers.

no win7 drivers for this model

may have to search manufacturer names etc..

I installed the Intel Chipset drivers which made the Device Manager say the USB ports were working properly, but they still didn't read anything (the laptop is new & has no physical damage). They worked while Windows 8.1 was on it so I doubt it's something physical.

#5 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 01 August 2014 - 03:59 AM

Part of the downgrading/upgrading process is to ask these driver questions BEFORE performing the up/downgrade. If you had a professional do this, then he/she was not very professional!! And I would definitely get my money back. If you did this then there is a way out. There should be a Recovery partition on the lappy that you can use to return your PC to it's factory condition. Check your documentation for the process, or Google it.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,418 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2014 - 08:46 AM

On each device that is giving a problem go to Device Manager, Right Click the device, select Properties, and in the details tab select Hardware ID's in the dropdown box. Copy and Paste the first line shown for each device in your next post. The USB ports which are probably the USB3.0 ports may be a problem. I would need the chipset for the controller.

Edited by JohnC_21, 01 August 2014 - 08:49 AM.

#7 EMarq89

EMarq89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2014 - 09:00 AM

Part of the downgrading/upgrading process is to ask these driver questions BEFORE performing the up/downgrade. If you had a professional do this, then he/she was not very professional!! And I would definitely get my money back. If you did this then there is a way out. There should be a Recovery partition on the lappy that you can use to return your PC to it's factory condition. Check your documentation for the process, or Google it.

I will definitely recover it if I can't get the USB ports to work.

On each device that is giving a problem go to Device Manager, Right Click the device, select Properties, and in the details tab select Hardware ID's in the dropdown box. Copy and Paste the first line shown for each device in your next post. The USB ports which are probably the USB3.0 ports may be a problem. I would need the chipset for the controller.

This one is the Ethernet port:

PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_813&SUBSYS_1977103C&REV_07

USB#1:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8C26&SUBSYS_1977103C&REV_05

USB#2:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8C2D&SUBSYS_1977103C&REV_05

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,418 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2014 - 09:04 AM

Can you double check the Ethernet ID. Is it a DEV_8136 and not a DEV_813

#9 EMarq89

EMarq89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2014 - 09:13 AM

Can you double check the Ethernet ID. Is it a DEV_8136 and not a DEV_813

Yes, sorry, it is DEV_8136.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,418 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2014 - 09:24 AM

Try this driver. It's a RTL8102E chipset. You want version 7.026.0902.2010

Edit: It may take a bit for the file to download

You will need to update the driver using Device Manager and browse to the unzipped 64bit folder (assuming you are using 64bit) with the inf file in it.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ht/update-drivers-windows-7.htm

You may have to reboot for the drive to take effect.

Edited by JohnC_21, 01 August 2014 - 09:24 AM.

#11 EMarq89

EMarq89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2014 - 09:51 AM

Try this driver. It's a RTL8102E chipset. You want version 7.026.0902.2010

Edit: It may take a bit for the file to download

You will need to update the driver using Device Manager and browse to the unzipped 64bit folder (assuming you are using 64bit) with the inf file in it.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ht/update-drivers-windows-7.htm

You may have to reboot for the drive to take effect.

I just tried it & it gave me an error (Code 10). It's saying the Ethernet port isn't on. That may be what's also wrong with the USB Ports because the drivers are installed, but they still don't read anything.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,418 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2014 - 09:59 AM

Is there a section in BIOS where you can enable the Ethernet LAN port? Have you tried right clicking the Ethernet LAN in Device Manager and asking Windows to update. If you go to Windows Update, is there anything related to Ethernet in Optional Updates? You can also uninstall the Ethernet driver in Device Manager and then doing a Scan for new Hardware.

I can't say if this will work but here is the driver for USB3.0

You may have to take it back to Win8.

#13 EMarq89

EMarq89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2014 - 10:16 AM

Is there a section in BIOS where you can enable the Ethernet LAN port? Have you tried right clicking the Ethernet LAN in Device Manager and asking Windows to update. If you go to Windows Update, is there anything related to Ethernet in Optional Updates? You can also uninstall the Ethernet driver in Device Manager and then doing a Scan for new Hardware.

I'll check the BIOS right now. I have asked Windows to update & it says the driver is the most current. I've also uninstalled & set Windows to update & it gave me the same driver. If the BIOS has nothing & those drivers don't work, I think I will have to go back to Windows 8. I'll post the results once I check those things. Thank you for all your help, I appreciate it.

#14 EMarq89

EMarq89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2014 - 10:18 AM

I'll check the BIOS right now. I have asked Windows to update & it says the driver is the most current. I've also uninstalled & set Windows to update & it gave me the same driver. If the BIOS has nothing & those drivers don't work, I think I will have to go back to Windows 8. I'll post the results once I check those things. Thank you for all your help, I appreciate it.

Update: It worked! USBs are working again! THANK YOU! I'm ecstatic right now haha.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,418 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2014 - 11:02 AM

Great. So now the only thing left is the Ethernet?

Edit: Uninstall the Ethernet driver in Device Manager and use the full installer here. I don't know why I could not find it the first time.

Win7 and Server 2008 R2 Auto Installation Program (SID:1669850)

7.088 2014/7/25 6011k

Edited by JohnC_21, 01 August 2014 - 11:08 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users