Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malwarebytes found 6 threats, recommends I ignore them

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore

• Members
  • 288 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:00 PM

I was having some problems with my laptop (Dell Inspiron 9400 running Win XP), so I ran a Malwarebytes scan. It reported 6 "threats": 4 files and 2 folders. (How can a folder be a threat?)

What puzzles me is that it seems to be recommending that I ignore the threats. The message is "Scan Complete -- Non-Malware Detected". Then for each threat, the default action is "Ignore once".

I have a screen shot, but I can't figure out how to attach it. I have pasted the log text below.

I am inclined to override the default and quarantine them all. Is that the right course of action?

Thanks

-------------------------- scan log ----------------------------

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
www.malwarebytes.org

Scan Date: 07-31-14
Scan Time: 18:42:54
Logfile:
Administrator: Yes

Version: 2.00.2.1012
Malware Database: v2014.07.31.09
Rootkit Database: v2014.07.17.01
License: Premium
Malware Protection: Enabled
Malicious Website Protection: Enabled
Self-protection: Disabled

CPU: x86
File System: NTFS

Scan Type: Threat Scan
Result: Completed
Objects Scanned: 436196
Time Elapsed: 44 min, 35 sec

Memory: Enabled
Startup: Enabled
Filesystem: Enabled
Archives: Enabled
Rootkits: Disabled
Heuristics: Enabled
PUP: Warn
PUM: Enabled

Processes: 0
(No malicious items detected)

Modules: 0

Registry Keys: 0

Registry Values: 0

Registry Data: 0

Folders: 2
PUP.Optional.SearchProtect.A, C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\SearchProtect, , [aa6bbde99be094a2b33c526f4fb3d22e],
PUP.Optional.SearchProtect.A, C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\SearchProtect\Logs, , [aa6bbde99be094a2b33c526f4fb3d22e],

Files: 4
PUP.Optional.Conduit.A, C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp\SPIdentifierImpl.exe, , [11047531d2a95bdb24e0711c08f924dc],
PUP.Optional.Conduit.A, C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp\nsr7B.tmp\39\spi3.exe, , [59bc8d19304be45215ef484559a87987],
PUP.Optional.Conduit.A, C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp\nsr7B.tmp\49\spi3.exe, , [73a27630ee8d191d39cb0e7f49b841bf],
PUP.Optional.Conduit.A, C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp\nsr7B.tmp\6\spi3.exe, , [36df198d09720e28778dc1ccdb26f907],

Physical Sectors: 0

(end)

Running Win 10 & Office 365.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 288 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2014 - 12:05 AM

I uploaded the image file (jpg) to DropBox. Here's the link:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rspf3s6ns518b0y/AADrwft_1GE49MNfobJvesxQa

#3 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,030 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 01 August 2014 - 01:17 AM

G'day Cynthia,

Open Malwarebytes,

Go to Settings >>>then to Detection and Protection >>>...then under Non Malware Protection select "Treat Detections as Malware" for both PUP's and PUM's

I have this setting applied on my own PC without any upsets at all.

Pup's are "potentially unwanted programs", and Pum's are potentially unwanted Modification"

Both "optional.Conduit.A" and "Optional.SearchProtect.A " are both unwanted.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#4 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 288 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2014 - 11:38 AM

G'day, mate,

Thanks for the info about that setting. I went ahead and quarantined those 6 threats, but I think I'll leave the setting as is, at least for now. That way, I can examine what it finds and make a decision.

Cheers, Cyn

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 01 August 2014 - 02:38 PM

Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs) do not fall in the same category as malicious files such as viruses, Trojans, worms, rootkits and bots. A PUP is a very broad threat category which can encompass any number of different programs to include those which are benign as well as problematic. To learn more about PUPs and how you get them, please read: About those Toolbars and Add-ons - Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs)
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,030 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 01 August 2014 - 05:58 PM

All Good Cyn. Wise move there. quietman's articles are a good read....ultra informative.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users