Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No post, beep or bios start up on monitor.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ythao01

ythao01

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:58 PM

I've looked on Google already and tried all of the fixes for this problem but none worked. I'm starting to worry that I have a broken Bios chip since I did order my Mobo from eBay, but the motherboard does beeps when I start it up with missing ram and my ram's leds glow when pluged in. All of my fans that I've plugged into the mobo works fine and my GPU's fan spins and I could feel it getting warm. HDD works fine as the hdd light flashes and I could hear it spinning. All fans going to the PSU works fine and I'm pretty sure i'm not shorting the back of the motherboard. 

My monitor when plugged to nothing has this box looking thing that floats around and when i plug it into the DVI port on my pc it turns black so my cord isn't the problem.

I'm using fairly old parts so the problem could be anywhere. My parts are ATI 5870, Sigma monster 750w, 4 gbs geli black dragon ddr2, core 2 duo q9550, p5q se plus and a WD 500 HDD

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 01 August 2014 - 03:33 AM

Your DVI port may have failed. Try one of the other video outputs. If another port doesn't give you video, then you may need to try another vid-card.

#3 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2014 - 12:42 PM

Was this a new build with older parts or a mainboard swap? If it is a new build, did you use standouts for the computer case: http://www.building-a-gaming-computer.com/installing-a-motherboard.html

Try 1 stick of ram in 1 slot at a time, move that stick to each slot (by itself) and try again. If you have more than 1 stick, try another stick in each slot (by itself). You may have a bad stick of ram or a bad slot causing a no post. A successful post should be 1 single beep. Disconnect all non essential hardware: hard drives, disc drives, wireless cards, sound cards etc. You should only have the psu, cpu/cpu cooler, video card (if you have onboard video leave the video card out and use onboard), 1 stick of ram in 1 slot. With those components installed only, connect a monitor and power on the machine.

Edited by zingo156, 01 August 2014 - 01:25 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#4 ythao01

ythao01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2014 - 05:15 PM

should there be a beep when I press the power button even without a monitor? because I'm not getting one with or without

#5 Man_1n_Black

Man_1n_Black

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 01 August 2014 - 05:26 PM

Yes generally speaking virtually all motherboards will give the "everythings ok" beep at start up.

Testing without the RAM or anything else plugged into the motherboard is a good test, it should give error beeps to tell you it has no RAM.

A computer will happily start and run without a monitor.

If indeed you get no beeps at all at startup when no RAM or anything else ( hard drives etc ) is plugged into the board, i would think it is dead, sorry.

One thing that may be worth trying is a motherboard reset, instructions can be found below

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/tp/clearcmos.htm

http://www.wikihow.com/Reset-Your-BIOS

Edited by Man_1n_Black, 01 August 2014 - 05:28 PM.

Regards,
Phil
Linux user     |     #564977

#6 ythao01

ythao01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2014 - 05:49 PM

I have noticed that when I turn on my pc it turns off again for a second then turns back on. is this an indication of something?

#7 Man_1n_Black

Man_1n_Black

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2014 - 05:51 PM

I have noticed that when I turn on my pc it turns off again for a second then turns back on. is this an indication of something?

I have an old dell tower that does that, but its always done it and it starts that way every time, if this is new behaviour try resetting the motherboard and see if it goes away.

Regards,
Phil

#8 ythao01

ythao01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2014 - 06:02 PM

ok so I'm thinking one of my ram sticks are dead. I just tried one stick and I got 1 short beep the a pause then 2 fast but short beeps. same happened in all 4 slots. The other stick only had the beeps in 3 of the 4 slots.

#9 Man_1n_Black

Man_1n_Black

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2014 - 06:10 PM

Any beep other than a single solitary beep is an "error beep" see the link for some general codes . . .

http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

You may need to google for your specific bios, ie award or amibios etc, to be sure what the beeps are telling you.

if the 'other stick' created no beep in 1 slot and error beeps in the other 3 you may need to try with some other RAM sticks, if you have another compatible board you could try the sticks in it to check the RAM in a motherboard known to be working, always make sure you observe correct procedure when performing any internal work on a PC, keep yourself grounded at all times - hth

Regards,
Phil

#10 ythao01

ythao01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2014 - 07:06 PM

I can seem to identify it on any of those charts. It goes like "beep" then there's actually a pretty long pause to the point where you think it's just one beep but then the double "beep beep" comes in. and it only does it once. the brand is Asus.

Edited by ythao01, 01 August 2014 - 07:06 PM.

#11 Man_1n_Black

Man_1n_Black

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2014 - 07:32 PM

To be certain you will have to check the exact model ASUS board, however it should be Award bios and that set of error beeps is most likely a Video adapter error of some kind.

If it is onboard graphics try adding a video card. If it is a video card try using the onboard adapter and hopefully that will narrow it down a bit.

It must be said that  "I did order my Mobo from eBay" is not advisable unless the board was brand new. The issue with second hand gear from places like that is that you dont know the history and often have to trust someone you know nothing about.

Regards,
Phil

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users