Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP ZBook 17.3 Full HD matt DreamColor

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 FadingCrow

FadingCrow

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:40 PM

Hello There Folks! I am in need to buy a New laptop for working. I am considering of buying ZBook 17.3 made by HP but it's kinda expensive and i am not sure if it's worth? I was reading that it has a really high performance. I am working with softwares like 3D Max, and Maya by Autodesk, ZBrush and Adobe softwares. Could u also recommend some computers which would be good with these softwares? I am in need of a laptop. I was also looking Asus Rog 750 but it says it's a gaming computer. Whats the difference between gaming computer and a work station? 

Thausand thanks for the help!

2ic6xcg.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 AM

Posted 04 August 2014 - 03:13 PM

The main difference between workstations and gaming computers is:

• CPU: Generally the workstation has a slightly faster version/multithreading capabilities (though this is more common with desktops than laptops)
  • Hard drive: The workstations sometimes have SSD's or they will have 7200 RPM drives rather than 5400 to gain a little speed, they will also usually have industrial drives rather than consumer (guaranteed for 5 years rather than 3)
  • Video Card: They will have workstation video cards rather than consumer, again this has a lot to do with support, they will have longer warranties. Also they are designed more for precision than speed, where gaming cards are more for speed.

What this means is, workstations will work harder and faster through tough renders and complex things, but you wont get great framerates out of them when gaming, gaming laptops will take a little longer to render complex things but will be capable of high framerates.

I would also look at Lenovo and MSI workstations/gaming laptops, they might be better value.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users