Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PSU going bad? PC difficult to power on after outages

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Tim Brastow

Tim Brastow

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 31 July 2014 - 07:34 PM

We have a rather old computer in our office that my parents use. Every time there is a power outage in the house, the computer is a little difficult to power back on. When pressing the power button, the PC will remain on for 3 or 4 seconds, power off, and then you'll hear one last "breath" from the PC before powering off for good.

I have generally resolved this by unplugged the power cord from the PC, reconnecting the power cable from the PSU to the motherboard, holding down the power switch (with no power cord attached) to drain any voltage within the computer (is that true?). Usually it powers on afterwards.

But sometimes, and this has happened several times, when reconnecting, the PC will immediately power off after re-connecting the Ethernet cable, which I find really strange.

This is a 650V PSU. Is the thing just going bad? Is it somehow not getting enough power to prop up everything within the PC? Or does it sound like something worse?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 01 August 2014 - 03:36 AM

I would replace the PSU and also start using a UPS. A UPS will prevent those power surges/outages from damaging the PC.

#3 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 01 August 2014 - 09:28 AM

This does sound like a power supply issue to me. If you intend to replace the psu yourself, first open the computer case and dust out the computer and inspect for blown or bulging capacitors on the motherboard examples: https://www.google.com/search?q=blown+bulging+capacitors+motherboard&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=laPbU-PvMoazyATp5YG4Dw&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1440&bih=766

If you have any bad capacitors, I would recommend putting the money toward a newer machine. Bad caps don't always cause problems but eventually they will.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users