Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hello Everyone

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 carolyn1946

carolyn1946

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 01 June 2006 - 09:44 PM

First of all, I want to introduce myself. I am Carolyn, live in Houston, Texas. I have two kids and four grandkids. Grandkids ages are 17, 12, 8, and 6 weeks. All four belong to my daughter. My son has none yet. My question is what is active X control? I went to the msn games and it told me that I had to install active X control before I could play the msn games. I am a novice at the computer. Thank you and hope that everyone is having a good week. Carolyn

Edited by jgweed, 02 June 2006 - 07:03 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 02 June 2006 - 12:32 AM

Welcome to BC.

Webopedia has this definition...

ActiveX control
An ActiveX control is similar to a Java applet. Unlike Java applets, however, ActiveX controls have full access to the Windows operating system. This gives them much more power than Java applets, but with this power comes a certain risk that the applet may damage software or data on your machine. To control this risk, Microsoft developed a registration system so that browsers can identify and authenticate an ActiveX control before downloading it. Another difference between Java applets and ActiveX controls is that Java applets can be written to run on all platforms, whereas ActiveX controls are currently limited to Windows environments.

Related to ActiveX is a scripting language called VBScript that enables Web authors to embed interactive elements in HTML documents.

If you are looking for a place to download it, try this.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 02 June 2006 - 06:30 AM

Active X comes in Internet Explorer and is necessary to use certain functions like Windows Updates, certain games, and online anti-virus scans.

There re "plugins" for specific things and what you were being offered was the plugin for that specific game from MSN.

If you want to be able to play the game, authorize the plugin when it is offered. One thing though - make sure that before you authorize the download it is from a trusted site - like MSN, or one of the major av scans, not just any web site.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users