Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot from USB

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Tech Dude

Tech Dude

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:27 PM

When attempting to boot from USB on an acer 5720 travel mate, after setting the boot order to do so, found that pc sees usb, but doesn't actual boot to it. Just continues to os. What step is missing. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 31 July 2014 - 06:45 PM

Hello,

What program are you trying to boot from USB? Are trying to boot to DOS?

Edit: If you have not done so, enable F12 in BIOS which is the boot selection key. Boot the computer with the USB attached, tap F12, and then select USB.

Edited by JohnC_21, 31 July 2014 - 06:52 PM.

#3 Tech Dude

Tech Dude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2014 - 07:22 PM

I have enabled f12, selected an option of booting, but after boot selection windows XP starts up anyway. I've tried booting to Kali Linux, and Ubuntu. Both have worked on other pc's. Is there a particular button I should be pressing after boot section?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2014 - 07:49 PM

Not that I know of. When you get to the boot selection screen after pressing F12, do you see the USB flash drive listed? Just highlight the USB key using the up and down arrow keys and press enter. Maybe the USB flash drive has a problem. Download Rufus and use it to create a bootable USB flash drive. Select iso image in the dropdown box and click the folder icon to browse to the iso file.

#5 Tech Dude

Tech Dude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:43 PM

I will certainly give this a shot. Thanks! 👍

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:49 PM

Hopefully it works for you. If you cannot get the USB flash drive to boot, there is a way to use a CD to force a USB boot but if you can boot by CD, then there is no reason to boot USB.

#7 Tech Dude

Tech Dude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:10 PM

I'll definitely give it a shot. You r deifinlty sharp at this stuff. I love problems like this. It sounds crazy I know, but it's so fun figuring it out. Thanks again!
👍💻💿💾

#8 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2014 - 12:27 AM

There is a way to set this thing to auto boot to USB device. 

First, insert your USB device. Then boot to BIOS setup. You need to toggle over to the Boot tab. The USB device should be seen. Toggle that above the hard drive, but below the Optical Media. Then press F10, or whichever "F" key assigned to save settings & exit, it'll reboot, hopefully to your USB drive. 

When the USB drive isn't present, the computer will boot as normal. 

Hope this works for you.  :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#9 Tech Dude

Tech Dude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2014 - 06:58 AM

Sorry for delay. I've been really busy. It seems as though the issue was the program used to create the bootable flash drive. I created a new one with Rufus and it fired right up. I guess this dinosaur laptop didn't like the Linix boot software. On the other hand, it likes Ubuntu 14.04 lts, because I have installed that os and have gotten rid of windows xp. It makes a nice machine to experiment with. Thanks for the help!

#10 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:05 PM

Glad to hear you got it going.  :)

Have downloaded Rufus for my own use, looks to be a promising tool. 

Good Luck with Ubuntu 14.04LTS! :thumbup2:

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#11 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2014 - 12:55 AM

Not that I know of. When you get to the boot selection screen after pressing F12, do you see the USB flash drive listed? Just highlight the USB key using the up and down arrow keys and press enter. Maybe the USB flash drive has a problem. Download Rufus and use it to create a bootable USB flash drive. Select iso image in the dropdown box and click the folder icon to browse to the iso file.

JohnC, does Rufus cause MBAM Pro (active mode) to flag something? 

The reason I'm asking is that when I was trying to create a bootable Linux MInt Flash drive, Rufus was the only thing open. It was checking for updates, what happened was MBAM found & cleaned an infection & a reboot of the computer was needed to clean. That is the first time in quite a while that MBAM Pro had done this, though it does block known malware sites from opening, 

Cat

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2014 - 07:16 AM

I don't know. I don't use MBAM Pro but I have never had a problem with it being flagged by avast! or bitdefender free. Does MBAM Pro pick it up everytime Rufus checks for updates?

#13 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2014 - 10:13 PM

I don't know, only tried once. Will try again on a computer where it really doesn't matter, my old XP one. It doesn't have MBAM Pro installed, rather Emsisoft Anti Malware & Online Armor Firewall. It's not powerful enough to handle MBAM Pro added to the mix. 

Though I don't believe that Rufus in itself was the issue, had it been, MBAM Pro would have blocked it from running. It was during the checking for updates process, maybe should have deselected that option. At any rate, it was during that time that the infection was intercepted by MBAM & an immediate reboot required to disinfect. 

The download of Rufus itself was from Linux Mint 17, had the Down Them All download manager deposit the file in the Downloads folder of my Windows Data partition & didn't use it until I booted into Windows 7 again, which are getting more rare these days. Windows is becoming more of a liability, rather than a good asset to have & requires much more maintenance than Linux Mint does. 

When it comes down to it, all I need a computer for is Internet access for general Web use, forum participation, send & receive emails, make transactions (which I quit doing on Windows long ago), MS Office 2010 Pro Plus & running virtual machines with VirtualBox. And listen to music via VLC Media Player or on MySpace (am not a member, just go there for the music). 

All of which I can do on Linux Mint 17, with the exception of MS Office. For my usage, can learn to get by with LibreOffice. 

I'll have to do some further checking on Rufus's updating process. Will post back in this Topic is there's further issues. 

Thanks for your reply.  :thumbup2:

Cat

#14 Zach6656

Zach6656

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2015 - 09:32 PM

YES cat decided to use rufus :D thats is awesome and its the only reason why i didnt completely switch my acer to ubuntu (its using a dual boot)

always use DD-WRT for all your routers, if you cant get it for them, throw them away

#15 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2015 - 12:02 AM

Rufus is OK, may have been where I downloaded it from (can't remember now). There was just a page with a long list of commonly used apps, and I chose Rufus from it. 

Most likely, obtaining it from a 3rd party, there was an adware or toolbar bundle inside, and why MBAM flagged it. Have used it since from the dev's site w/no troubles. Though I still decline the update check, it's going to work anyway if it was the latest release, or just one back. 

I should have known better than to get the file from a 3rd party site, but don't do that anymore. Too many toolbars/adware bundles, some of which are spyware & could be considered to be malware. Have really been watching my every move on Windows these days. 

Cat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users