Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Woke Up a Cranky Laptop

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#16 Evenodd

Evenodd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 01 August 2014 - 09:35 PM

Just to be clear, you're telling me to do and stop at step 7 on

right?

I finished testing the ram, both in, then one at a time each in both slots, without the hard drive (stopping at step 7) and  without battery, and using the power adapter. With each test, the results were the same. When I turned it on, the "Vaio" logo shows, then the screen turns black and displays, "Operating System Not Found_" (blinking underscore) at the top left corner of the screen.

Edited by Evenodd, 02 August 2014 - 02:33 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 01 August 2014 - 11:15 PM

Yes, I thought you were not seeing the sony post screen which to me means you have an issue with the computer posting. Operating system not found is what happens when the hard drive is pulled out. Put the drive back in and tell me exactly what happens when you power it on. All detail, such as: you see the sony screen, then....

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#18 Evenodd

Evenodd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2014 - 12:36 AM

Yes, I thought you were not seeing the sony post screen which to me means you have an issue with the computer posting. Operating system not found is what happens when the hard drive is pulled out. Put the drive back in and tell me exactly what happens when you power it on. All detail, such as: you see the sony screen, then....

Again, I'm sorry about that.

With the hard drive, both rams, and battery installed with the power adapter plugged in...

I see the "Vaio" screen. Afterwards, there is a black screen with a white blinking underscore up in the top left corner of my screen which also blinks downward a short step and then disappears. Then, my screen stays black for some seconds and thereafter 8 noticeable, almost identical artifacts line up in a row on the top left corner of the screen. Just two seconds later, all around near the top of my screen, the line of artifacts statically appear [EDIT: Well... I did notice some pixels in the streaks of random artifacts change color once or twice then stay in place as they were.]. There is no more visual screen activity after that.

dy1zr6.jpg

I also noticed that I could toggle Caps Lock all the while during the Vaio and Blinking Underscore screens, but could not toggle it anymore after that. Also, my keyboard has back-lighting and anytime I pressed a key during this whole sequence, it would light up, then slowly dim out when I didn't press any keys for a few seconds, even in the screen with all the artifacts. The light dimming is normal; it happens when the keyboard is not in use.

Edited by Evenodd, 02 August 2014 - 12:59 AM.

#19 Evenodd

Evenodd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2014 - 12:40 AM

Just in case this might  be helpful, when I manually force my laptop to shut down during the screen with artifacts stage, the whole screen flashes white and neon green. It happens really fast and I can't tell if it is white then green or the inverse.

#20 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2014 - 11:34 AM

Try this: after powering on the laptop, start tapping F8 on the keyboard repeatedly (right after powering on) and see if you get the advanced boot menu options, if you do, use your arrow keys to select safe mode.

From safe mode (if it boots to safe mode), click on the start button, in the start button search files area, type in cmd and then when command prompt or cmd appears in the menu above, right click on it and select run as administrator.

A new window should appear on the screen. In this new box type the following commands in this order:

sfc /scannow     (there is a space between the c and /) then hit enter and let this run. when it is complete run the next command

chkdsk /r    (there is a space between k and /) then hit enter and if it tells you the disk is locked would you like it to run the next time you restart type "y" and hit enter. Then restart the computer and let chkdsk run. Let the computer try to boot normally after this process and report any problems.

Edited by zingo156, 02 August 2014 - 11:34 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#21 Evenodd

Evenodd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2014 - 03:56 PM

I successfully got to the advanced boot options and selected safe mode. From there, I've been stuck on the "Loading Windows Files" screen for more than two hours. It says "Please wait..." on the bottom of the screen.

EDIT: It's been on the same screen for more than 4 hours and I'm turning the laptop off.

Edited by Evenodd, 02 August 2014 - 05:12 PM.

#22 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2014 - 08:44 PM

From the same F8 advanced boot options menu you can try "last known good configuration" or try the repair option. I would try the last known good first...

Let me know what happens with after trying both. If you do get the computer to boot using "last known good configuration", run both of the commands posted above and let me know the results.

#23 Evenodd

Evenodd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2014 - 02:13 AM

Although I still met the screen with the artifacts (for a few seconds) after clicking "last known good configuration", I successfully got logged in and met the desktop screen.

sfc /scannow result:
2hyx72b.jpg

chkdsk /r result after restarting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKOfl45TcOI&feature=youtu.be

There is a blue screen with text that flashes for a moment. It keeps cycling like this endlessly.

Edited by Evenodd, 03 August 2014 - 02:14 AM.

#24 Evenodd

Evenodd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2014 - 02:18 AM

I managed to pause the video at the right time and got a screenshot of the blue screen:
2ij3qls.png

It seems there is more text on the last line that gets cut off halfway. You can kind of see it.

I forced a shut down.

Edited by Evenodd, 03 August 2014 - 02:30 AM.

#25 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2014 - 09:10 AM

Try to boot back to last known good configuration and run from command prompt chkdsk /f /r (space between chkdsk and /f and /f and /r.

You can read about the error here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff557433%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

My guess at this point is that you may have a hard drive problem due to the original symptoms but I can not use my hard drive diagnostic test on that sony. I remember the sony laptops not allowing you to change the sata operation so the free diagnostic software I use won't work.

It still might only be software related so let's try and get chkdsk to run without error.

Edited by zingo156, 03 August 2014 - 09:27 AM.

#26 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2014 - 09:30 AM

We can test the ram in your computer for errors using memtest86, if you still can not get the above chkdsk to run succesfully, download memtest86 and burn it to a disc or use the flash drive version (backup your data on the flash drive you use as it will require format). Let the test run at least 3 passes which generally takes around 4 hours. If there is an error it will show up in red, report the enter line of numbers in the error if there is one and I should be able to determine which stick of ram has an issue.

You can download that here: http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

** Memtest86+ V5.01 (27/09/2013)**

Edited by zingo156, 03 August 2014 - 09:32 AM.

#27 Evenodd

Evenodd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2014 - 02:11 PM

I just want to thank you for helping me thus far. I really appreciate it. :)

My laptop is doing the same thing as in the Youtube video when I click on "last known good configuration".

EDIT: I tried booting in safe mode (with networking and command prompt), but it's also doing the same thing.

Edited by Evenodd, 03 August 2014 - 02:19 PM.

#28 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2014 - 07:36 PM

Try selecting "repair" from the same F8 advanced boot options menu and then chose "system restore", select a date that you know the computer was working correctly and let it run. I would not go too far back. Take in mind anything you have installed since that restore point date will need to be re-installed.

Also please do run memtest86 on the laptop, with sony computers, the easiest way is burning the disc, putting the disc in the computer, powering off and then powering back on. It should automatically boot to memtest.

Edited by zingo156, 03 August 2014 - 07:36 PM.

#29 Evenodd

Evenodd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2014 - 08:27 PM

Which one is "repair"?

2ebs3tj.jpg

#30 Evenodd

Evenodd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2014 - 08:41 PM

I've never burned anything on a CD before, so can you tell me if I'm burning memtest on my CD correctly? I am extracting the .zip into the CD. Which option do I choose?

10dfij6.png

Edited by Evenodd, 03 August 2014 - 10:14 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users