Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Woke Up a Cranky Laptop

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Evenodd

Evenodd

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:53 AM

Model Name: VPC-F11LFX/B

Hi, I know nothing about computers.

About three weeks ago, I came home from dinner, went to my room, and woke up my laptop from its sleep state to play some games. Before I left home, I was on Facebook and stuff, and everything was working fine. Awakened however, the displayed just showed my cursor floating in a black screen; it kept like that for more than 5 minutes, which then I held down the power button to shut down my laptop. When I turned my laptop again, it sluggishly got to the log-in screen. After logging in and meeting my desktop, everything on my screen just froze. These events recurred over and over again until I just turned off my laptop and put it under my bed until now.

Today, I turned on my laptop which it took about 10-20 minutes to get to the log-in screen. But this time, after I pressed Enter to log in, it went straight to my desktop in less than a minute and neither did my screen freeze. I can currently use it as I normally would (checking Facebook, etc...) which is good I assume...  :dance:

I don't know what's up with my laptop, and I really want it back to its normal functionality.

Please help me, thank you very much! :]

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ImBackHerobrine

ImBackHerobrine

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 01 August 2014 - 01:11 AM

Hello! It seems you have been infected by the ZeroAccess rootkit. Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (malwarebytes.org/mbam-download.php), and post the log. Please download MiniToolBox, save it to your desktop and run it.
Checkmark the following checkboxes:

• Flush DNS
  • Report IE Proxy Settings
  • Reset IE Proxy Settings
  • Report FF Proxy Settings
  • Reset FF Proxy Settings
  • List content of Hosts
  • List IP configuration
  • List Winsock Entries
  • List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Installed Programs
  • List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.
When using "Reset FF Proxy Settings" option Firefox should be closed.

Then, use AdwCleaner

• Click on the Scan button.
  • AdwCleaner will begin...be patient as the scan may take some time to complete.
  • After the scan has finished, click on the Report button...a logfile (AdwCleaner[R0].txt) will open in Notepad for review.
  • After reviewing the log, click on the Clean button.
  • Press OK when asked to close all programs and follow the onscreen prompts.
  • Press OK again to allow AdwCleaner to restart the computer and complete the removal process.
  • After rebooting, a logfile report (AdwCleaner[S0].txt) will open automatically.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that logfile in your next reply.

A copy of all logfiles are saved in the C:\AdwCleaner folder which was created when running the tool.

Then, when you can, use MBAR (malwarebytes anti-rootkit) at here: http://downloads.malwarebytes.org/file/mbar

Tell me if it gets fixed.

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 01 August 2014 - 08:25 AM

Let's not jump to conclusions that your system is infected with Zero Access Rootkit.

Your issues could be caused by other things such as hardware or software.

While it will not do any harm to scan with the tools mentioned above, IF Zero Access is involved you will require more help than can given here in Am I Infected.

I will ask one of our malware removal experts to look at this topic.and give you a second opinion.

Please read this http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/182397/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do-how-do-i-get-help-who-is-helping-me/

While it mentions staff, there are some NON-staff who help others here and are very good at what they do. NON-staff helpers usually have a high post count. If at any time you have a question or concern about who is helping you here in Am I Infected please send a private message to any moderator.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 01 August 2014 - 08:40 AM.

#4 Evenodd

Evenodd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2014 - 09:16 AM

Hey guys, this is embarrassing...

Just before ImBackHeroBrine had posted yesterday, I attempted to perform a chkdsk on my C:. When restarted to let the computer do the chkdsk, the screen turned into this and I am now presented with this screen immediately every time I turn on my laptop and I can only shut it down manually:

2qnbfnr.jpg

This is what the streaks look like:

2irq3hy.jpg

I'm so terribly sorry for screwing it up even more.... What's wrong with it now? 

#5 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2014 - 10:51 AM

This appears to be either a video chipset problem or ram related problem. Since most onboard/cpu video chips use ram as vram, it may just be a stick of ram causing the problem. I suggest you power off the computer, remove the battery and power adapter, and then remove the bottom cover of the laptop. If you have 2 sticks of ram, remove one and then try to power on with just the power adapter installed. If you still have this screen, remove the power adapter and move the stick of ram that is in the machine to the other slot.

If you still have this screen, remove the stick of ram and replace it with your second stick (if you have one) and try that stick in both slots. If you still have this screen, now would be a good time to remove the hard drive and then try again. Any piece of hardware can cause a post problem but typically video artifacts are caused by ram/video chips.

Edited by zingo156, 01 August 2014 - 10:54 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2014 - 10:55 AM

A quick question: do you still see the sony post screen or does this screen happen on power up?

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#7 Evenodd

Evenodd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2014 - 10:59 AM

A quick question: do you still see the sony post screen or does this screen happen on power up?

I do not see the Sony post screen. This screen shows up when powered on.

This appears to be either a video chipset problem or ram related problem. Since most onboard/cpu video chips use ram as vram, it may just be a stick of ram causing the problem. I suggest you power off the computer, remove the battery and power adapter, and then remove the bottom cover of the laptop. If you have 2 sticks of ram, remove one and then try to power on with just the power adapter installed. If you still have this screen, remove the power adapter and move the stick of ram that is in the machine to the other slot.

If you still have this screen, remove the stick of ram and replace it with your second stick (if you have one) and try that stick in both slots. If you still have this screen, now would be a good time to remove the hard drive and then try again. Any piece of hardware can cause a post problem but typically video artifacts are caused by ram/video chips.

I don't know how to do any of that, nor know what anything looks like in a laptop. Could you provide a video or some tutorial?  

Edited by Evenodd, 01 August 2014 - 10:59 AM.

#8 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2014 - 11:00 AM

I can find a video tutorial, please post the model number of the computer. It should be located on the bottom of the laptop on a sticker.

#9 Evenodd

Evenodd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2014 - 11:11 AM

I can find a video tutorial, please post the model number of the computer. It should be located on the bottom of the laptop on a sticker.

Model Name: VPC-F11LFX/B

Service Tag: R5834624

Product Code: 27501487

Serial No.: 3108447

You think this might help? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCAP9DpCYvQ

#10 ImBackHerobrine

ImBackHerobrine

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2014 - 11:14 AM

Let's not jump to conclusions that your system is infected with Zero Access Rootkit.

Your issues could be caused by other things such as hardware or software.

While it will not do any harm to scan with the tools mentioned above, IF Zero Access is involved you will require more help than can given here in Am I Infected.

I will ask one of our malware removal experts to look at this topic.and give you a second opinion.

Please read this http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/182397/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do-how-do-i-get-help-who-is-helping-me/

While it mentions staff, there are some NON-staff who help others here and are very good at what they do. NON-staff helpers usually have a high post count. If at any time you have a question or concern about who is helping you here in Am I Infected please send a private message to any moderator.

Sorry about thinking at first it was Zero Access. It just a bit seems like the symptoms of ZeroAccess rootkit.

#11 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2014 - 11:14 AM

That video will work, in the first 2 minutes of the video you can see where the ram sticks are located, all you have to do is get to the ram for now and follow the above instructions trying each stick in both slots, make sure you remove all power (battery and power adapter) while removing sticks and putting them back in.

I would recommend dusting out the computer after we have solved the post issue, but rather than taking it apart to do this, the easiest way is to blow canned air through the intake and exhaust of the computer.

Edited by zingo156, 01 August 2014 - 11:16 AM.

#12 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2014 - 11:18 AM

Also as a side note: if you have a bad stick of ram, it should cause the same problems in both slots, if you have a bad slot, both sticks of ram should cause the same problem in that slot... Sometimes re-seating ram (removing and then putting it back in) can solve issues. I have seen ram come lose from dropping a laptop and cause problems as well.

Edited by zingo156, 01 August 2014 - 11:18 AM.

#13 Evenodd

Evenodd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2014 - 11:21 AM

Thank you zingo, I will get back to you later today. 

#14 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2014 - 11:22 AM

Sounds good, if you still have problems even after trying each stick of ram in all slots, put the ram back in and remove the hard drive following the instructions below and with the hard drive left out of the computer, power it on. See if you get the sony post screen (you only need to follow the instructions to remove the drive no further and then reverse the steps to put the drive back in).

http://www.monteverde.org/images/Sony_Vaio_F11/VAIO_VPCF_Hard_Drive_Replacement.htm

Edited by zingo156, 01 August 2014 - 11:25 AM.

#15 Evenodd

Evenodd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2014 - 08:53 PM

I have two pieces of ram and I'm doing as you told me right now. I also need to correct myself from before when you asked me if I saw the Sony post screen or not--I do (at least when I turn my laptop on with ram piece). But when you asked me that I don't think I was paying close attention after I turned my laptop on. Please forgive me.

But after that, it transitions into the screen with the artifacts.

I'm on the part where I'm removing the hard drive because both ram pieces don't work.

Edited by Evenodd, 01 August 2014 - 09:52 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users