Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Defender on Windows 8.1 error 0x800705b4

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 LanceA

LanceA

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:37 AM

Hello,

I've been getting this error from Windows Defender saying that "real time protection couldn't be turned on". I've tried activating it from the action center alerts and from the big red button in the program itself, but no dice. I've never used any other AV software on this 3-day-old computer and the only things I've downloaded are 3 games via the steam client, so I'm fairly certain that I don't have any malware. In the windows defender settings, the option to turn on real-time protection is checked. One "solution" instructed me to modify the registry through regedit at the directory HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender, but the problem is that I cannot find a folder named "windows defender" at that location. Opening the services window shows that the "Windows Defender Service" is Running with an Automatic startup type. Additionally, Internet Explorer refuses to open without any alert or error while Chrome is working just fine. I'm running Windows 8.1.

I've been searching around for quite a while now without any luck, so if anyone can help me it would be much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,756 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:14 PM

You posted that this is a three day old computer.  Does this mean you built it three days ago, or did you purchase it three days ago.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 LanceA

LanceA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2014 - 01:03 PM

You posted that this is a three day old computer.  Does this mean you built it three days ago, or did you purchase it three days ago.

I have a custom build from CyberPowerPC. It arrived and I first booted it 3 days ago.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,756 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2014 - 01:12 PM

The following instructions are a direct quote from the Microsoft Community.

Step 1
If you have any third party antivirus software and firewall disable them temporarily and make sure that the Windows Firewall is turned on. Then check if the issue reappears.

Step 2
1. Open Run, and  type in services.msc then press Enter.

2. In services window, locate Windows Defender service in the services list.

3. Verify that the Status is Started. If the Status column is blank,
right click on the service and select Start.

4. If you get error trying to force start the Windows Defender service, try to change the Startup Type to Automatic, and then restart the computer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 LanceA

LanceA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2014 - 03:19 PM

I've since contacted CyberPower's tech support and their solution was to reinstall windows. It worked, for what it's worth. Still, in the service window, when defender was broken, the status was running, the startup was automatic, and the "start" option in the right click menu was greyed out. I don't know who that information will help, but there it is.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,756 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2014 - 04:29 PM

I gave you good advice, you chose not to use it.

I don't believe I will be of any further assistance.

#7 LanceA

LanceA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2014 - 04:45 PM

Don't feel put-out. I never meant to imply that I didn't appreciate your effort.

#8 musts

musts

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 06 November 2014 - 02:20 AM

Do not get grumpy when someone doesn't take the advice you provided and refuse to provide further assistance just because of that. The OP just felt the need to do a different solution instead of yours probably because it was the only option LanceA had before you even got the chance to respond.

I am experiencing the same issue and unlike LanceA, I couldn't do a fresh install of win8 so if you just didn't mope around and provided more info on the issue instead, people like me who have the same issue would have been helped out. Welp...

PS: and yes, I did come across the solution from Microsoft before seeing this post and it didn't work.

#9 fredmerv12

fredmerv12

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 17 February 2015 - 02:29 AM

You could try this and see how it goes for you.

A) Right-click Command Prompt and Run as Administrator. Type the following command:
B) net stop winmgmt 
C) Press Y and press ENTER to continue
D) cd %windir%\system32\wbem 
E) ren repository repository.old 
F) net start winmgmt

**** Create a System restore point before trying the above just in case. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users